Reports to: Board of Directors
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Salary Range: $65,000 - $75,000, depending on experience and qualifications
Benefits: Full Medical and Dental coverage, generous vacation
Background: We are seeking an experienced Executive Director to lead our organization as we grow our national audience, network, and impact.
About Live Wire:
Hosted by Luke Burbank, Live Wire combines the prestige of national radio broadcasting with its own outstanding reputation as an independently-produced Portland production. Over the last 15 years, Live Wire has brought audiences together to spark human connectedness through performance, humor, and unpredictable moments of discovery. The show is produced in front of a live audience in Portland, Oregon (most of the time) and more than 300,000 people across the country listen weekly on more than 175 public radio stations.
The Executive Director Role:
Live Wire is a small organization that does big things. Our ideal Executive Director will work in all facets of the organization including fundraising and development, planning and leading growth, building relationships with sponsors, distribution partners, our community, and our team. We've set a clear 3 year strategy and plan for growth. Through our distribution partnership with PRX we are poised to add new public radio stations across the country. We're looking for an Executive Director to advance the mission of the organization by growing audience and funding. As a small organization we strive for a close-knit culture in which we place a high priority on communication, collaboration, and recognition. We are in search of a person who is aligned with our culture and will continue to enhance it through positive leadership and business acumen, building strong relationships internally and externally.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of our organization, with a primary focus on funding, sponsorships, and external relations, ensuring that we are operating efficiently and effectively to meet our organizational goals. The organization currently includes 4 full time staff and a small network of part-time employees with a management team of 3 in place: an Executive Producer, Production Director, and Development Director.
Primary Areas of Responsibilities include:
- Lead the organization to grow its reach, expanding the radio and podcast audience in partnership with our distribution team at PRX.
- Lead and implement comprehensive income growth, building corporate sponsorship, membership, and grant revenue.
- Be the external voice of the organization, building and deepening relationships with sponsors, arts and government organizations, and foundations.
- Lead the implementation of a 3-year strategic growth plan that meets organizational goals and objectives created in partnership with the senior staff and the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for the recruitment, hiring, training and supervision of all Live Wire employees
- Hands on financial management, including preparing and administering the annual budget, analysis, decision making and reporting. Leadership that demonstrates a keen sense of self awareness, empathy and ability to analyze complex management and political situations, the ability to lead, influence and reach consensus on a range of topics among multiple constituents.
- Act as a liaison between the Board of Directors and the organization, drawing advice, perspective, and support from the Board.
- Build on the culture of transparency, communication and collaboration throughout the organization
Qualifications and Skills
Passion for arts, culture, and media.
Passion for using arts and media as a vehicle for cultural engagement and social change.
Experience in non-profit administration or related field preferably with significant experience in media and arts or related areas, prior experience as an Executive Director or Manager/Director is preferred.
Provide visionary leadership for organization
Demonstrated passion for and experience in development and fundraising; securing grants, corporate sponsorships, and developing engaged individual membership based giving.
Demonstrated ability to develop and implement successful strategic plans. Knows how to both dream big and implement ‘small’, moving an organization steadily forward.
Experience leading results-driven teams to achieve collective vision, objectives
Understanding of financial strategies and finance-related performance metrics
Excellent public speaking, meeting facilitation, presentation, and written communication skills
Excellent relationship development, personnel management and mentoring skills
The starting salary range is $65-75K, depending on experience and qualifications. Benefits include full medical and dental, along with a generous vacation schedule.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The board and staff of Live Wire Radio believe they can meet the organization’s mission only with a diverse board and staff who actively cultivate a culture of equity, inclusion, and belonging.
Live Wire holds a deep commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity. As a part of our commitment to featuring underrepresented voices and reaching new audiences, we are seeking applicants with diverse perspectives and lived experiences that we believe will strengthen our organization and its impact.
How to apply: Send a cover letter and chronological resume to our search committee, led by Board President Tobey Fitch, at EDsearch@livewireradio.org, by February 15th 2020. In your cover letter, please answer these questions, supplying a one- paragraph answer to each:
What are your one or two biggest leadership accomplishments?
What motivates you to want to work with Live Wire Radio?
An email acknowledgement will be sent to all applicants within three business days. If you do not receive an acknowledgment within that time frame, please contact Laura Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org
All inquiries will be handled confidentially.