Main Purpose of Job:
The Director of Planned Giving has primary responsibility for the growth, management and enhancement of the planned giving program at MPT. The Director of Planned Giving will educate prospective donors about a range of planned gift options, secure planned gift commitments, and oversee the administration of planned gifts that have reached maturity, in addition to stewarding the Legacy Society, which consists of donors who have made provisions for MPT or the MPT Foundation in their estate plans.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of prospective and current planned gift donors via face-to-face meetings, phone calls, and written communications.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of planned giving vehicles and familiarity with related laws and regulations governing them, including tax laws.
- Prepare gift proposals for prospective donors and their advisers, both in response to specific inquiries and as a proactive strategy.
- Ensure that active estates are being administered in a timely, judicious manner, including compliance with external legal and IRS requirements.
- Coordinate all aspects of the Legacy Society, including member recognition.
- Collaborate with MPT’s membership department and major gift staff to develop print, web, on-air, and online marketing strategies for planned giving.
- Prepare monthly reports that reflect caseload activity and performance; present updates to senior staff and board as requested.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Experience: Minimum five years of experience in non-profit development or equivalent experience in legal or financial planning fields.
Desired or Preferred Qualifications: Strong preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s).
- Prior experience in legal or financial planning fields, including estate planning, tax law, life insurance, and trusts;
- Prior experience soliciting and securing planned or major gifts;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to present complex subjects in a clear and compelling manner;
- Enthusiasm for meeting and interacting with potential donors one-on-one while exercising sensitivity, tact, and discretion;
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office applications and CRM systems;
- A strong belief in the mission of MPT and the importance of public media;
- A self-starting work style, with a proven ability to meet project deadlines and maintain productive professional relationships.
Salary: $91,000 - $101,000
Maryland Public Television promotes and creates a working and learning environment rooted in the basic tenets of fairness, diversity, and inclusiveness.
Please respond by emailing your cover letter and resume with the title Director of Planned Giving to:
Colette Colclough, VP HR