The Bilingual Multimedia Producer/Reporter is a member of the Milwaukee PBS Production Department and reports to the Chief Content Officer of Milwaukee PBS. Must be adept with new digital technology, social media and possesses, at the core, a strong commitment to journalism that exemplifies what public media does best.
Upholds the highest journalistic standards, communicates well with others. A team player that delivers on the requirements, goals and quality expected. Understands the difference strong stories can make to viewers and readers and explores the issues that focus on residents of southeastern Wisconsin. Tells stories on-air, online and in our community events that not only touch the heart and soul of our views but better their lives too.
Additionally, is part of the team developing ideas that will take advantage of Milwaukee PBS' free-over-the-air reach to bring education to a wider audience. This position is a collaboration with MATC (Milwaukee Area Technical College), which holds the licenses of WMVS and WMVT, commonly known as Milwaukee PBS.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contributes to Milwaukee PBS local programs, with the main focus being on the station’s Spanish-language news and public affairs program Adelante!, a program covering news and human interest stories about southeastern Wisconsin’s Hispanic community.
- Participates in current and future collaborations with MATC leaders and Milwaukee PBS staff developing educational initiatives.
- Produces reports for broadcast, online, and social media in both English and Spanish.
- Works closely with the production team to conceive, book and produce segments as well as creates and packages content to post to social media.
- Presents story ideas, pre-interviews potential guests, and researches show topics.
- Identifies voices and views that we don’t tend to hear on public broadcasting.
- Develops specific topics of coverage, series and signature segments.
- Keeps up-to-date on news, arts, culture and other local and regional issues, demonstrating an interest in the people, issues and ideas shaping the region.
- Demonstrates sound news judgment, the highest journalistic ethics and an understanding of the sound and role of public media and social media.
- Develops audiences using social media that might include: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and other emerging services.
- May be asked to participate as pledge talent during fund drives or assist in the control room during these fundraising events.
- Participates in marketing activities, community engagement projects and other audience interactions as assigned on behalf of Milwaukee PBS, including interacting with audiences on our social media platforms.
Performs other related duties as required for the efficient operations of the division.
Required Education: Bachelor's degree required or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
Required Experience: Five (5) years of experience as a television and/or radio broadcast journalist. Work examples for review either online (URL or website links) or demo DVDs (required). Fluent in Spanish, both oral and written.
Preferred Experience: Five (5) years of experience producing, reporting, and on-camera experience in public media: NPR and / or PBS station broadcast.
Specialty Skills: Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Cultivates innovation
- Optimizes work processes
- Ensures accountability
- Interpersonal savvy
- Communicates effectively
- Instills trust
- Customer focus
- Action oriented
- Values differences
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Flexible, well organized, and willing to work long hours and/or irregular hours under the pressures of deadlines. May be required to have overnight travel.
• Ability to enterprise informative stories on a range of topics.
• Demonstrated reporting and writing skills.
• Demonstrated ability to pitch timely, diverse and relevant story ideas.
• Skilled with social media including (but not limited to) Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram and Tumblr and knowledge of social media best practices.
• Thorough understanding of use of web and social media platforms to tell stories and find them
• Grasp of digital storytelling tools (i.e. Adobe Spark, digital storytelling devices, Avid or Premier Pro editing software)
• Ability to meet strict broadcast deadlines.
• Ability to work accurately with strict attention to detail.
• Ability to connect local, regional and national current events and issues in ways that are relevant to the audience.
• Ability to write clearly and concisely for broadcast and web in English and Spanish.
• Familiarity with libel rules, social media policies and best practices.
• Ability to learn and comply with FCC rules.
• Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse educational and socio-economic backgrounds.
• Ability to work independently on multiple projects, meet deadlines, and coordinate activities to achieve project goals and objectives.
- Ability to lift up to 15lbs, carry, and push up to 20 lbs. and ability pull up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to climb stairs and a ladder and maintain balance.
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, hear and speak.
- Sitting/Standing/Walking: 45% of time spent sitting, 40 % of time standing, 15% of time walking.