As part of the production and content department, the Director/Producer will be a key participant in the production and sometimes creation of programming at Milwaukee PBS. We are looking for an individual who demonstrates skills in studio and field production and equally important is control room experience in directing. The Director/Producer will be a key participant in the station’s pledge productions. The successful applicant will report to the Milwaukee PBS Chief Content Officer.
Produces short and long form videos for broadcast, online and social media
Directs live and taped multi-camera productions, programs in studio and also on location in the field
Plans and coordinates all aspects of television programs and or projects assigned, including the directing of multi-camera pre-taped or live program productions in the studio or on location and coordinating of rehearsal and shooting schedules of same.
Identifies production and program requirements; coordinates with various sources to meet production requirements.
Coordinate/assist producer in establishing criteria for graphic materials to be used in program productions to include set design, visual images, credits, and other pertinent materials.
When functioning as producer, research and schedule program subjects and guests; viewing of field tapes; writing and editing scripts; off-line computer editing and coordinating with on-line editor, in addition to directing the program / project.
Directs technical, production, and acting personnel in coordinating audio and video requirements; directs and supervises location and edit production sessions; works with editors in editing and assembling program materials.
Prepares content for program related station website. Works with Community Relations/Marketing department in providing timely and descriptive material to adequately promote programs.
Performs other related duties as required for the efficient operations of the division.
Required Education and Experience:
With Bachelor’s degree in radio/television production or related field, four (4) years of experience
performing live multi-camera directing.
With Associate’s degree in radio/television production or related field, six (7) years of experience
performing live multi-camera directing.
Must have four (4) years of experience in producing and or directing television programs.
*Experience directing three to four (3-4) camera productions live or live to tape.*Bilingual Spanish
Verifiable production credits to prove ability for directing live and taped multi-camera television
Evening, weekend, and occasional holiday work is common.
- Business insight
- Balances stakeholders
- Drives results
- Attracts top talent
- Drives engagement
- Builds effective teams
- Drives vision and purpose
- Manages ambiguity
- Demonstrates self-awareness
- Instills trust
- Customer focus
- Action oriented
- Values differences
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Verifiable production credits. Demo necessary.
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position: studio control room directing/technical directing; field production; studio production; web-first digital video production
- Ability to adapt to a wide variety of program and production requirements.
- Proven knowledge and skills in researching and writing scripts for television.
- Ability to edit digitally on non-linear computer editing technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to direct 3 to 4 camera shows in studio and on location.
- Ability to independently develop, organize, and supervise production projects for instructional, informational, and entertainment purposes to meet schedule requirements.
- Possess high organizational skills.
- Ability to use basic functions of current word processing, spreadsheet, data-management, and project presentation software.
- Collaborates with other producers and MATC staff. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, teachers, staff, representatives of outside agencies, and the general public. Ability to answer internal and external customer concerns in a friendly and positive manner.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and explain procedures and written and oral instructions.
- Supervisory skills, customer services skills and organization skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to work in teams. Collaboration is essential to the outcome of all areas
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs., carry, and push up to 30 lbs. and ability pull up to 60 lbs.
- Ability to climb stairs and a ladder and maintain balance.
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, hear and speak.
- Sitting/Standing/Walking: 50% of time spent sitting, 25% of time standing, and 25% of time walking.