Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
As the Associate Producer, you help produce a variety of MPR News shows including Morning Edition, All Things Considered, MPR News with Kerri Miller, MPR News with Angela Davis, Minnesota Today, and Minnesota Now. These shows connect, represent, inform and delight Minnesotans by helping them navigate our changing state. You are curious about the lives of Minnesotans, pays close attention to local news, and are a critical thinker. Your role has control room experience and researches stories, conducts interviews, edits tape, and writes clean copy for broadcast and digital platforms. In this role, you will collaborate on breaking news and major planned events.
We’re looking for an Associate Producer who is dialed into and passionate about news and the lives of Minnesotans. You understand the urgent need to practice more equitable journalism and are committed to collaborating with the entire newsroom to do so.
On-call positions are hired on an as-needed basis. Hours are not guaranteed. Individuals will be called in (virtually or physically) when needed. Most work at MPR News is done remotely during the pandemic.
Compensation Range: $20.19 - $30.29 hourly. Exact hourly rate determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure and internal equity.
Application Deadline: January 26, 2022
- Writes promos & scripts, edits copy.
- Directs call-in and magazine programs
- Propose, locate, pre-interview, evaluate guests; book guests and confirm bookings.
- Gather sound in the field and over the phone on deadline.
- Write broadcast and digital copy.
- Research sources/guests and prepares notes for hosts.
- Screen callers for shows.
- Pitch story ideas.
- Hands-on production: edit audio, write script copy; schedule studio time.
- Assemble on-air materials prior to broadcast.
- Update content on website and in news archive.
- Stay current with local, regional, national and international news.
- Assist with social media activities.
- Administrative tasks including answering mail, record keeping, data entry, creating daily rundowns.
- Maintain relationship with technical staff, audio engineers and other departments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 3 years production, editorial or related experience.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge and ongoing familiarity with local, national and international current events and understanding of life in Minnesota.
- Ability to learn digital audio editing.
- Working knowledge of audio equipment use.
- Computer literacy and knowledge of PC and MAC based word processing software.
- Critical reading and listening skills are required.
- Research skills and knowledge of various techniques.
- Interpersonal skills, including ability to deal with a variety of individuals, such as audience, guests, hosts, and other MPR News staff.
- Attention to details and the ability to work in a time-sensitive environment.
- Strong organizational skills.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Digital editing: Adobe Audition and Pro Tools, or equivalent.
- Experience with digital news production and presentation preferred.
Reporting to this Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to manage some work outside of standard office hours as needed.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.