Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
As the Senior Accountant, you will be working cross-functionally to help with administration of the treasury function and to ensure the integrity of assigned processes and general ledger accounts for APMG and its affiliates including Minnesota Public Radio | American Public Media. A self-starter/team player with strong organizational skills and a “continuous improvement” mentality is a must!
Application Deadline: open until filled
- Responsible for the integrity of all assigned general ledger account balances (including payroll, fringe benefit, cash, etc.); document the satisfaction of the applicable audit assertions.
- Analyze and document the understanding of the procedures / internal controls applicable to all assigned general ledger accounts, identify / implement mitigating improvements as required.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operation and controls related to the Organization’s banking environment including account maintenance, coordination of procedures, service / fee evaluation, analysis of account balances, general ledger systems / reconciliations, maintain access / authorized signers, and PCI compliance.
- Coordinate, and adjust cross-functional workflows as required to gather accurate and timely inputs to ensure strong internal controls and accuracy of assigned general ledger accounts.
- Support the processes / procedures for the month-end and fiscal year-end close.
- Execute assigned periodic internal control reviews to analyze and mitigate risks for assigned areas; prepare written reports to document completion of assigned Finance Goals and Continuous Improvement Plan initiatives as required.
- Prepare and process; assigned transactions, supporting schedules, account reconciliations, and general ledger workpapers to support the annual audit of the financial statements.
- Other projects and duties as assigned by the Finance Management
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent work experience.
- Three to five years of related accounting experience.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Strong understanding of general ledger and fundamental accounting concepts and mechanics including internal controls, financial accounting, project tracking and reporting, and inter-company transactions. Professional knowledge of payroll, fringe benefit, cash, and inventory accounting.
- Familiar with financial statement audit processes and requirements. Basic understanding and application of accounting guidance.
- General Ledger. Proven record to manage general ledger accounts with minimal guidance.
- Systems / Data. Proficient Microsoft Excel skills: demonstrated ability to extract, summarize, pivot, and analyze data for recurring or ad hoc needs. Demonstrated knowledge to manage general / subsidiary ledger interfaces from supporting external systems / data sources.
- Problem Solving. Effective problem-solving skills to advance accounting / internal control objectives – ability to identify weaknesses and implement more effective processes and procedures.
- Coordination. Demonstrated ability to facilitate effective cross-divisional workflows to gather required information and meet internal control objectives.
- Initiative. Demonstrate a “continuous improvement” mentality; look for ways to do things better, faster, cheaper and/or more effectively. Self-starter with strong organizational skills – ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines; follow up on and resolves discrepancies.
- Ability to understand, simplify, and communicate the “big picture” supported via micro-level analysis.
- This position is frequently responsible for handling highly confidential information; maintain and display high ethical standards including confidentiality, discretion, and exemplary judgment with respect to such information.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Lawson Software (GL, AC, CM modules) (or other financial reporting engine) software.
- Knowledge of not-for-profit accounting and reporting environments.
- Working knowledge of banking products and treasury management tools.
Reporting to This Position: none.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.