Marketplace is looking for an experienced and creative reporter to cover the business of healthcare, and the ways in which this huge and complicated industry Impacts our lives and the decisions we make.
This won't be your typical healthcare beat. Marketplace specializes in the undercovered story and the surprising angle on the news. Our relaxed and conversational approach to explanatory journalism is rooted in expertise gained through serious reporting. As our healthcare reporter, your goal is to raise the economic intelligence of our audiences, through engaging and interesting storytelling that helps listeners and readers understand complex issues.
You will report on all aspects of the healthcare industry, from spending and drug prices, to the ways employers are reimagining health benefits, to the technology that is disrupting an industry that accounts for one-sixth of the American economy. You will be able to cut through the jargon and politics surrounding healthcare policy and the insurance industry to reveal what matters most to consumers. Digital skills are required you'll produce content on audio and digital platforms and ideally have a presence on social media.
You'll have a key role in crafting coverage that reaches across platforms to a national audience of more than 14 million.
The ideal candidate has proven radio reporting abilities and a passion for reporting on healthcare in Marketplace's explanatory and accessible style. Solid contacts in the industry are a strong plus.
A Marketplace reporter should be able to write sharp, concise and accurate copy, for radio and digital, on very tight deadlines. The ability to identify the key players and synthesize multiple strands of any story is essential for any Marketplace reporter.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.
- Pitch and report ideas for daily spots and digital elements for Marketplace radio broadcasts and Marketplace.org.
- Produce a steady stream of sound-rich features for Marketplace.
- Produce digital content (supplying additional audio, visual material, related Web resources).
- Deliver substantive reports quickly on varied subjects as needed.
- Train to deliver live reports and 2-ways.
- Consistently deliver stories with Marketplace's writing style and pace.
- Develop ideas/proposals for reports and programs, both by the reporter and by other reporters, and hosts.
- Gather information and audio for reports and programs.
- Report special projects/series.
- Produce or assist in producing special programming, as assigned.
- Operate production and studio equipment and facilities.
- Assist other reporters, producers and editors with information.
- Maintain a wide variety of sources.
- Other duties as assigned, including meetings and other events.
Required Experience and Education:
- BA degree or equivalent work experience.
- Seven or more years healthcare reporting or similar experience.
- Radio reporting experience.
- Knowledge of specific industries.
- Digital production expertise.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to deliver consistently stories with program writing style and pace.
- Develop signature sound of voice and writing.
- Ability to work simultaneously on short and long-term projects.
- Ability to guide the work of an intern.
- Depth of knowledge and experience within a specialization are important but breath in terms of general industry knowledge is required.
- Pitch original ideas and turn them into stories.
- Superlative oral and written skills with ability to deliver originality in writing.
- Capacity to deliver quick turn-around reporting.
- Ability to develop stories with multiple interviews, scene changes and strong knowledge of subject matter.
- Finds unexpected angles in stories, even in saturated topics.
- Ability to handle broad variety of complex assignments.
- Ability to deliver top-quality stories.
- Ability to set fresh directions in stories - think outside the box.
- Knowledge of various process approaches and necessary resources for a given project/assignment.
- Demonstrated reporting and production skills.
- Ability to maintain high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of balance and fairness.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Skill in creative use of sound, writing and storytelling.
- Ability to develop mastery of all recording and production equipment and techniques.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments of short and long duration.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- National reporting experience
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.