TITLE OF POSITION: Gulf States News Hub Regional Reporter: Criminal Justice
DEPARTMENT: News & Public Affairs
ANNUAL ENTRY SALARY: Competitive
JOB DUTIES INCLUDE:
NPR and Member stations in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana are seeking an experienced journalist to cover criminal justice across the Gulf States region as part of an exciting new collaboration. The Gulf States Newsroom is building a team of regional beat reporters to examine issues affecting the three states, in concert with local stations and NPR. If you have experience in radio and digital reporting, are passionate about public service journalism and enjoy collaborating to build new audiences, this position is for you. It’s based at Mississippi Public Broadcasting in Jackson and will include some travel across the region. We’re also hiring a regional health care reporter, based at WWNO in New Orleans. This position is classified as Non-State Service, Exempt. EOE M-F
- Pitch, plan and report news, feature and enterprise stories for all platforms, including broadcast, digital and social media.
- Gather materials on tape and otherwise, through interviews, press conferences and direct coverage of events.
- In consultation with editors and producers, organize, edit and produce pieces and news spots.
- Collaborate with editors and show staff to shape on-air two-way discussions; speak fluently and conversationally live on the air.
- Build web stories, including writing them and making photos and/or videos.
- Develop news sources.
- Cover stories as assigned by the Gulf States Regional Newsroom Managing Editor.
- Collaborate with editors and reporters at Newsroom partner stations.
- Ensure that all work meets NPR News and station standards for accuracy, fairness, honesty and impartiality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least 2 years of reporting experience.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, report and write stories of interest to a regional audience.
- Ability to work quickly under deadline pressure and to report breaking stories for newscasts, shows and digital.
- Ability and willingness to travel to report stories across the Gulf region.
- Familiarity with the public media system.
- Proven ability to work well with others, demonstrating respect for diverse constituencies within the public radio system.
- Experience producing pieces, on-air conversations and live reports for radio, digital and social audiences.
- Experience covering criminal justice issues.
- Familiarity with the Gulf States region.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. It is preferred that all applications include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
HOW TO APPLY:
- See Web Site for complete description (www.mpbonline.org)
- Applicants may email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Teresa.email@example.com
- Applicants may mail resumes or State of Mississippi application to Mississippi Public Broadcasting, Attn: Personnel, 3825 Ridgewood Road, Jackson, MS 39211