Music Director/On Air Host, Nashville Public Radio, Music Discovery Station:
The Music Director will have the opportunity to create and maintain the sound of Nashville Public Radio’s new Music Discovery station. Your boundless curiosity and deep love for a wide variety of music will be essential in establishing the station’s unique identity in one of the greatest music cities in the world. You will assist the Program Director and staff in selecting both new releases and classic music for air and will be responsible for maintaining the music library.
Your voice as a writer, host, multimedia journalist and storyteller will be integral as the station will be a trusted source for music news and features, and as the Music Director, you will be relied upon for your insight and taste. There will also be opportunities to develop new programming, create specialty shows and find new ways to spotlight local music. Nashville Public Radio is a mission driven organization, dedicated to hiring a diverse, equitable and inclusive team whose unique lived experiences will bring a panoramic perspective to the area’s music and culture.
- Help develop and define the sound and style of the station.
- Host a live daily air shift.
- Work with Program Director and Assistant Program Director to manage music library and program music logs.
- Upload songs into MusicMaster system - insuring audio quality, FCC compliance and information accuracy.
- Participate in fundraising activities on and off air.
- Works with sister station WPLN to create cross promotional music, news content opportunities.
- Contribute to website and social media on a regular basis.
- Remain engaged with Nashville’s music scene and aware of national music trends pertinent to the station.
- Work with labels, managers and other industry representatives to review new music submissions.
- Work with station marketing, traffic, sponsorship and underwriting teams as needed.
- Participate in and help guide weekly music meetings.
- Non-standard working hours guaranteed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 2 years of hosting, broadcasting or podcasting experience
- Basic knowledge of broadcasting and recording equipment including consoles, microphones and audio software
- Experience with MusicMaster and Wide Orbit
- Functional skills with Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, Outlook
- Knowledge and passion for a wide range of music with an understanding of Nashville’s musical history
- Sound editing experience
In addition to being part of the meaningful mission of Nashville Public Radio, employees receive competitive salary and excellent benefits. As part of a successful public radio organization, you will get cross training and educational opportunities to expand your skill set and further your professional development.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusivity in our hiring. Nashville Public Radio is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
Please submit cover letter, resume and links to your voice work to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.