Be the voice of Nashville's go-to news program.
WPLN News is looking for a versatile, creative and empathetic host for a new daily news show this fall, which will serve the Nashville region with insightful reporting and conversations on the day’s top news and culture. You'll be the proxy for all of Nashville as you talk to a range of guests: public officials, people with varied lived experiences, artists, and local award-winning reporters.
We see this show as a flagship program for the newsroom that reflects and engages with the diversity of the region. It will be a welcome addition for our existing core audience, but we also want it to serve a new group of listeners: people who don't already listen to NPR but want to be more engaged with their community. As host, you'll create a forum that's relatable and smart, whether you're showcasing the reporting from our growing newsroom, asking questions of decision-makers, or hearing from the people who live with those decisions.
If we were to explain our vision using other public radio shows, it would be this: Take the energy, intelligence and joy of It’s Been A Minute, mix it with The Daily‘s ability to go deeper on news of the day — immersed in the distinctive local flavor of Nashville. We strive to advance the conversations and debates happening across diverse neighborhoods, homes and workplaces.
More: Don’t know much about Nashville? Here’s a snapshot.
We're looking for a host:
- already has experience engaging with and asking deep questions of a diverse range of people. You aren't afraid to hold public officials accountable. You love asking real questions to people across a socioeconomic and demographic spectrum. You have the focus needed to advance breaking stories in a live format. You are curious about a wide range of topics — and especially relish diving into the diverse arts and music scene that Nashville is known for.
- with a personality. We want you to bring your individuality to the role, on and off the air. You're a performer as well as a journalist: You have emotional range and aren't afraid to use it on the air.
- who has a strong vision for diversifying the sound and audience of public radio. You will be a leader — within the station, helping to set the editorial tone of the show, and with the public, as a face and voice of the station who's helping to garner new listenership and support. We want you to be at the forefront of changing public radio's game.
- who enjoys working within a team. You will be the primary voice of the show, but you also crave collaboration, deliberation and the contribution of others.
You'll be joining a newsroom that has produced groundbreaking podcasts, special projects and national investigations. You’ll also have access to the talent and creativity of our new music discovery station WNXP, and you can expand on the newsroom’s community engagement partnerships, including a regular collaboration with Nashville Noticias.
This position reports to the executive producer of the daily show. The salary starts at $75,000 and is commensurate with experience.
We’re trying to create something different here at WPLN News. Do you share our vision? Come join us.
How To Apply: Please fill out our application form. The deadline is July 24, 2021.
10 Core Values of WPLN’s New Daily Show:
- Curiosity & creativity: We show genuine interest in a wide range of topics and tell stories in a wide variety of ways. We don’t do boring.
- Inclusivity: We showcase the diversity of Middle Tennessee and the expertise of lived experience.
- Respect & generosity: We seek first to understand why people do what they do, creating a space where guests and listeners feel valued. Conversations are spirited but respectful.
- Independence: We ask officials tough questions and, more importantly, ask them to answer to the public.
- Courage & grit: We employ healthy skepticism and lean into complexity.
- Context: We strive to connect the dots — telling people how we got here and why it matters.
- Community engagement & empowerment: We foster meaningful relationships across the region and strive to help residents ask questions and solve problems.
- Top-notch radio journalism: We prioritize accuracy and transparency in our reporting, and attention to detail in our sound design and engineering.
- Collaboration & growth: We succeed as a team. We are unafraid to experiment and learn from mistakes.
- Joy: We strive to broadcast something every day that makes people feel delighted about humanity.
About Nashville Public Radio: Nashville Public Radio is a community-owned public radio service that strives to become a vital source of local journalism (WPLN News) and music discovery (WNXP and Nashville Classical Radio) for everyone in Middle Tennessee. WPLN News has doubled in size in recent years and is proud to have strong existing community support. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusivity in our hiring. Nashville Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.