NPT President & CEO
Exciting opportunity to lead public media in one of the most dynamic and growing regions in the nation. Nashville Public Television (NPT) is seeking a visionary media professional to serve as President and CEO. The announcement and position description can be found here (also summarized below).
NPT is assisted in this search by NETA Consulting. If you are interested in applying, send your resume and a one-page vision statement for NPT and public media to: NPTCeo@Netaconsulting.org. To discuss this opportunity, you can contact Skip Hinton, Skip@netaconsulting.org.
For best possible consideration, please submit application by January 4, 2021. NPT is an equal opportunity employer.
Nashville Public Television (NPT), Nashville’s PBS station, is available free and over-the-air to nearly 2.4 million people throughout the Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky viewing area. NPT is also available to anyone in the world through its array of NPT digital services, including wnpt.org, YouTube channels and the PBS video app. Located in one of the fastest growing regions in the country, Nashville is known for its thriving cultural community including its rich music and food scenes.
We are looking for a visionary, charismatic CEO who has high energy and the ability to communicate effectively. The ideal candidate will connect with the community, the staff and the board of directors. The CEO reports to the chair of the Board of Directors and is responsible for implementing the strategic direction of the organization.
WNPT, Nashville’s independent, nonprofit PBS station, is operated by licensee, Nashville Public Television, Inc. https://www.wnpt.org/about/
Serves as chief executive of Nashville Public Television, providing leadership, direction and oversight to ensure that the organization fulfills its mission and achieves its objectives, as determined with the Board of Directors. Serves as a voting member of the corporation’s board.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In consultation with the Board of Directors, develops the organization’s strategic direction, short and long-term plans and budgets. Tracks industry trends with respect to content, technology and funding.
- Provides leadership and guidance to members of the top management team to ensure the smooth operation of the organization, as well as appropriate alignment of departmental strategies with overall mission and available resources. Assures accountability by working with senior staff to establish goals and tracking mechanisms.
- Responsible for ensuring that the organization operates in a financially responsible manner within parameters determined by the Board of Directors. Maximizes revenues available for service through strategic, effective and ethical fundraising.
- Develops strategic alliances with other organizations.
- Oversees a strong presence in the community through support and collaboration with other like-minded non-profit and educational organizations.
- Serves as the chief fundraiser for the organization, including cultivation of relationships and solicitation of support from key individuals, corporations and foundations.
- Develops appropriate public service and revenue-generation projects and ventures designed to further the mission and/or strengthen the organization’s financial situation.
- Manages and supervises top management and other staff members. Assures sound stewardship of resources.
- Responsible for operation of the organization under applicable laws and regulations of the federal, state and local governments, as well as the FCC and other regulatory bodies.
- Maintains strong relationships with public broadcasting national organizations and other local public broadcasters.
- Fosters diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Establishes and nurtures an environment to maintain a strong, inclusive and positive staff. Guides professional development initiatives.
- Leads station efforts in multi-platform content creation and distribution.
Seven years of increasingly responsible and successful experience in a senior executive role, preferably in broadcast media. Ability to understand local, state and federal rules, regulations, policies and laws pertaining to the operation of a public television station and a non-profit organization. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required, graduate level preferred. Computer literate.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge:
- Effective communicator
- Thorough understanding of technology relating to broadcasting, content creation, distribution channels and emerging trends
- Proven track record in driving financial success
- Demonstrated ability to represent the organization and work collaboratively with the community and public media nationally
- Ability to oversee staff members, providing effective leadership, support and team building
- Experience in developing and maintaining industry standards and ethics, and working to ensure the creation of unbiased content for the organization
- Strong communicator/charismatic leader
- Team builder
- Honesty and integrity
- Ability to align with the strategic direction of the board
- Thought leader
Nashville Public Television is an Equal Opportunity Employer
NPT is assisted in this search by NETA Consulting. If you are interested in applying, send your resume and a one-page vision statement for NPT and public media to: NPTCeo@Netaconsulting.org