New Hampshire Public Radio (NHPR) is seeking an All Things Considered Producer who is responsible for working with the All Things Considered team, including All Things Considered Host and Senior Producer of News Magazines to enhance the local news presence on All Things Considered. The Producer will work with the Senior Producer for News Magazines, News Director and Program Director to craft the overall sound and local content of the program to meet the needs of our listening audience. They will also occasionally provide fill-in hosting for All Things Considered as needed. The Producer reports to the Senior Producer of News Magazines and this is a full time, exempt, in-person position that is based in Concord, NH.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Works with the All Things Considered Host and Senior Producer for News Magazines to create local content and assemble program elements to best serve NHPR listeners
- Plans, books, pre-interviews, researches and edits host interviews for broadcast
- Works with Host and news editors to produce afternoon newscasts through 7:00 pm
- Creates engaging copy for host
- Scans wires, news websites and other sources to stay on top of the day’s news in New Hampshire and the region
- Updates newscast content to accommodate breaking news throughout the workday
- Produces live segments and field segments for All Things Considered
- Participates in daily editorial meetings
- Produces special series and projects in collaboration with Senior Producer and hosts
- Coordinates with Morning Edition Producer to place newscasts, features and local two-way interviews in local news magazines
- Creates engaging digital posts for content, in collaboration with news editors
- Fills in for All Things Considered Host as needed
- Participates in on-air fundraising and sponsorship activities as assigned
- Edits newscast audio hourly for digital use (NPR One and other projects)
- Other duties as assigned
We’re looking for someone with…
- Passion and intuition for journalism and radio, a keen eye and ear for media trends and audience needs
- Excellent writing skills, including radio script writing. Minimum of one year of experience in news writing for broadcast
- A minimum of two years of reporting experience. News writing experience for print or digital a plus
- News judgment to recognize the relative importance of news stories and develop them appropriately
- Demonstrated initiative in developing sources to produce original news coverage
- Ability to find new and interesting angles on stories and determine best means of delivery, including most appropriate media formats to effectively tell the story
- Demonstrated radio editing and production skills, experience in producing and/or editing digital media (e.g., video, audio, interactive media, photo editing, blogs)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, broadcast automation systems, such as Audio Vault, and digital editing software, such as Adobe Audition
- Experience posting content online, including understanding of linking, adding photos and other media, providing text versions of newscasts and using social media; technologically versatile and willing to expand skills
- Familiarity with digital studio broadcast equipment
- Working knowledge of New Hampshire issues desirable
- Knowledge of relevant FCC rules and regulations
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work both collaboratively and independently to achieve desired goals
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and a sense of urgency required to meet deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree in a related subject area such as digital, print or broadcast journalism or relevant experience
…but we know there are great candidates who may not have all these qualities or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Compensation & Benefits:
This is a full time exempt position and the salary range for this role is $46,200 to $55,399 annually.
NHPR offers a generous benefits package that includes health and dental insurance; company-paid short and long term disability; flexible spending accounts; 403(b) savings plan with a company match and a free on-site fitness center. Employees are entitled to three weeks of vacation time and twelve paid holidays, as well as paid sick and parental leave.
This position is part of a bargaining unit and terms of employment are subject to the outcome of collective bargaining which is ongoing.
Things to Know About Us:
NHPR is the state's foremost news organization, focused on producing accountability journalism and engaging deeply with the diverse communities and people of the Granite State. For 40 years, NHPR has produced incisive local news on the radio and emerging audio platforms, complementing the national and global reporting of our partners at NPR. We make nationally prominent podcasts - including Bear Brook, Outside/In, Civics 101 and Document - and have a fast-growing footprint in digital and social media.
In our leaders - and across the organization - we seek people who are approachable, collaborative, empathetic, optimistic, and solution-minded. Together, we are building a culture based on earned trust, transparency, equity and inclusion. We hold ourselves accountable to our goals and our values. We have publicly stated our commitment to enhancing the diversity of our staff and our journalism. NHPR is intent on being public radio for all of New Hampshire, and to expanding our audience and advancing our mission and vision by deepening our engagement with diverse people and communities across the state and beyond our borders.
The health and safety of our employees, their families and the community at large is a high priority for NHPR. Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required for employment. Individuals must be fully up-to-date with their vaccinations no later than their start date. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons or sincerely-held religious beliefs, we will consider requests for reasonable accommodation where we are able to provide such accommodations without undue hardship pursuant to applicable law.
*Per the CDC: A person is up to date with their COVID-19 vaccination if they have received all recommended doses in the primary series and one booster when eligible.
Please apply on the job opportunities page of our website, NHPR.org, or through this link: https://nhpr.applicantpro.com/jobs/2555836.html
NHPR is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to a diverse and dynamic workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
NHPR encourages people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply, particularly Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC); those who are first in their family to attend college; adults without a college degree; LGBTQIA+ community; and people from low-income backgrounds.