New Hampshire Public Radio (NHPR) is seeking a collaborative and detail-oriented Broadcast Transmission Engineer to serve as Chief Engineer for the organization. This person will be responsible for the installation and maintenance of broadcast equipment, including studio, satellite, and transmission systems at remote locations throughout New Hampshire. This position reports to the Director of Technology.
New Hampshire Public Radio is an independent and trusted source for news and information, and the state’s largest radio news service. Each day NHPR delivers local content reported by our reporters and producers, as well as national and world news from National Public Radio (NPR), broadcasting throughout the state from 16 radio stations at 14 transmission sites. NHPR’s newsroom, digital team, podcasts and original programs consistently earn national recognition for their in-depth reporting and production. NHPR is the winner of the 2015, 2017 and 2018 National Edward R. Murrow Award for overall excellence.
NHPR offers a generous benefits package that includes health and dental insurance; company-paid short and long term disability; flexible spending accounts; a 403(b) savings plan and a free on-site fitness center, and has policies regarding fair compensation. Employees are entitled three weeks of paid vacation time and eleven paid holidays, as well as paid sick and parental leave. NHPR encourages candidates from groups historically underrepresented in our industry to apply. We are committed to mentoring our staff and helping them develop as professionals and leaders.
- Install, troubleshoot and maintain equipment at 14 transmission facilities located throughout New Hampshire
- Provide secondary support of systems at the corporate headquarters, including studio systems, production systems and satellite uplinks and downlinks
- Serve as Second Chief Operator as defined by the FCC
- Participate in rotation for 24-hour emergency response to and remediation of broadcast outages
- Support production of remote broadcasts, including site selection, equipment specification, setup and troubleshooting
- Stay up to date on current technology and seek opportunities to learn new skills
- Other duties as assigned.
We believe that a strong engineering operation includes staff from a range of backgrounds, with varying skills, experiences and passions. If you don’t meet every qualification outlined, but are intrigued by this position and feel you could be a good fit, we’d like to hear from you. Please apply and tell us more about yourself.
- Minimum of two years at a broadcast/studio production facility or equivalent
- Demonstrated knowledge of FM RF transmission systems
- Experience building and maintaining HD Radio technology
- Basic IP network technology skills
- Experience with satellite uplink and downlink systems
- Experience with digital STL microwave systems
- Accuracy and excellent attention to detail, and strong organizational skills
- Good initiative and teamwork
- Willing to live within 30 minute driving distance from the studio
- Ability to bend, crouch, stoop, climb and lift up to 30 pounds frequently and up to 60 pounds occasionally
- A valid driver’s license and satisfactory motor vehicle record.
Other qualifications that would be useful:
- BS in a related field and two years of broadcast/studio engineering experience, or AS in a related field and 5 years broadcast/studio engineering experience
- Experience troubleshooting audio transport systems, including Audio over IP/Ethernet, AES digital audio, analog audio, Studio to Transmitter Links, IP Audio Codecs, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of broadcast studio systems
- Knowledge of audio routing systems
- Basic video production knowledge
- SBE certification preferred
- CCNA or Network+ certification preferred
New Hampshire Public Radio believes that diversity is important to our success. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please apply on the job opportunities page of our website, NHPR.org, or through this link: https://nhpr.applicantpro.com/jobs/1670764.html