Planning Editor, The Takeaway
New York Public Radio is looking for a talented, dynamic & curious journalism leader to serve as Planning Editor The Takeaway, a daily news program with a unique take on the world produced by WNYC and PRX.
Here’s your chance to work on one of the most riveting national daily shows in the industry. Millions of Americans turn to us each week for essential takes on news, politics and the culture happening around them. As our audience continues to grow (along with the current news cycle), we’re expanding our team!
The Planning Editor will partner with the Executive and Senior Producer, the program’s hosts and the daily producer squad to produce high impact, distinct content across various platforms. While most of the team is focused on planning the next day’s show, the planning editor's job is to take the lead in keeping the team planned and prepared for big stories coming down the line. You’ll lead brainstorming huddles with the team (aside from daily editorial meetings), oversee high-impact journalism collaborations with other newsrooms, and develop longer-term coverage plans to help us advance breaking news stories in ways that set us apart from other newsrooms. You’ll also assist in editing scripts when needed and have a say in our podcast strategy. Overall, the successful candidate will be a creative thinker, who can find the unexpected angle on news.
- Work to ensure that content meets the highest journalistic and ethical standards
- Monitor national and international news with an eye to developing coverage for The Takeaway
- Participate in (and sometimes lead) daily news meetings
- Assist with daily and long-time bookings of show guests
- Provide guidance on scripts as they are developed and edit scripts as needed.
- Maintain editorial planning and coverage documents
- Provide support as needed to digital and podcast teams
- At least 7 years of audio production
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience preferred, but not required.
- Proven experience managing an editorial team (overseeing a specific beat, extensive special coverage plans etc) in radio, podcasting, print, or television
- Proven ability and genuine passion for fostering an inclusive, diverse and innovative environment
- Strong editorial and news judgement, with experience producing or editing in a changing, fast-paced news environment
- Experience and a knack for shaping editorial strategies that cater to distinct appeal and user experiences across multiple storytelling platforms
- A passion for podcasts and new forms of storytelling
- Creative ideas about how to make smart audio shows that will get listeners hooked
- Excellent written, editing and verbal communication skills
- Experience with design thinking around news planning a plus
Ability to stay calm, be kind and practice empathy with both colleagues and the audience
- Comfortable assembling audio sessions is a must
- A collaborative spirit is a must
This is a full-time role which includes benefits. New York Public Radio offers competitive compensation with excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, vacation, personal and sick time as well as generous parental leave.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic this role is currently operating in a remote capacity and will continue to be fully remote through at least August 2021. However, this position is not a permanent remote position and is part of the New York City staff, and may be expected to work from the New York office when it is safe to do so.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
New York Public Radio is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continuously strive to place our employees at the center of our thinking and elevate inclusive practices to develop and support a more engaged and productive workforce. Our journalism and operations in the service of that journalism benefit from a broad range of perspectives, from all backgrounds, at all levels of the organization. Diversity is essential to honest, authentic, accurate storytelling and reportage; creating an institution in which all voices are encouraged, valued, and heard.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving the goal of equal employment opportunity for all. Applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions without regard to mental or physical disability, race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship status, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, employment status or any protected federal, state or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.
Please submit your online application here: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oAyZffw6&s=CPB