Help Desk Specialist
Application instructions for this and all current OPB employment opportunities are available at OPB's careers page.
OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
We’re hiring a Help Desk Specialist to join OPB’s Technology team! In this role, you’ll work with the rest of the Technology Team to Troubleshoot and resolve computer and network problems. This is an opportunity to work on a variety of tasks, all of which are essential to the support and evolution of the infrastructure that supports OPB!
Provides support to local and remote users of OPB’s technological assts. Candidate will be responsible for onboarding and offboarding users, ordering computer equipment and peripherals and managing user software licenses as well as providing consistent support for user issues via a ticketing system, email and messaging applications. Candidate should demonstrate organization by prioritizing issues with help from leadership as well as creating documentation for basic processes to support other members of the technology team.
85% - Provide Technological support to OPB staff
- Troubleshoot and resolve computer and network problems.
- Respond to requests for assistance. Install and configure hardware and software.
- Coordinate hardware repairs with outside vendors.
- Responsible for onboarding and offboarding users and equipment.
- Plan and implement new technology initiatives for users.
- Enable OPB employees and volunteers to use OPB's information technology more effectively and efficiently.
- Provide timely updates to stakeholders
- Track all support requests in an appropriate manner.
- Work with senior IT staff to create solutions for OPB.
5% - Write user documentation.
10% - Track all internal computing assets including software licenses, and hardware.
60/40 Hybrid work environment. The position may require lifting, carrying, crawling or bending in order to perform duties in connection with installation, maintenance and repair of computer equipment. Job requires manual dexterity, ability to use hands to manipulate tools and equipment. Special vision requirements include close-up view of hardware and parts, and the ability to switch focus. May require after-hours on-call availability and equipment installation.
- Two years of experience providing user support.
- People centered approach to engaging with OPB staff while resolving technical issues.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff across the organization
- Ability to leverage the skills of colleagues to solve complex problems where appropriate
- Experience setting up, installing, troubleshooting, repairing and upgrading Windows workstations.
- Experience with local area networks and workstation configuration.
- Experience supporting standard business software suites, and web-browsers.
- Basic experience with Office 365/Exchange and Active Directory
- Experience training users in the use of computer systems and software.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to multi-task, follow instructions and respond to continually shifting priorities in a positive, helpful manner
- Experience managing Windows Workstations in a business environment.
- Working knowledge of audio/video hardware and software a plus.
- Experience working with vendors as an extension of the OPB team.
- Experience with basic Imaging, software packaging and deployment (SCCM, Intune, MDT)
- Experience working within a ticketing system to support an organization
- Basic knowledge of IT security practices
- This position reports to the IT Manager, is union represented and benefits eligible
- The probable hiring range for this nonexempt position is between $21.50 and $26.75 hourly, depending on qualifications.
- For the safety of our employees, the contractors/vendors we work with, and the public we serve, OPB has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, and all employees are required to show proof of vaccination.
- This position has access to highly sensitive data and therefore must pass a background check.
How to Apply
For application instructions, please visit OPB's careers page. You will be asked to create an account, upload your cover letter and resume and answer a few position related questions. Once you click “submit” you cannot make changes to your application.
Your application materials are due by 8:59 PM Pacific Time on October 7, 2022.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.