POSITION TITLE: Director, Co-Productions and Sales (Hybrid or Remote)
DEPARTMENT: Content Acquisitions
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
LOCATION: Office Location is Arlington, VA or Boston, MA (Hybrid); OK with Remote, if Located in Contiguous United States or Europe
TRAVEL: Up to 20% Domestic and International Travel
SUPERVISOR: Commissioning Editor, Content
PBS Distribution (PBSd)* is a leading distributor of public media content around the world, entertaining audiences across platforms and formats. The company, a for-profit joint venture of PBS and GBH Boston, provides premium content through multiple digital channels and video services. PBS Distribution operates six subscription streaming channels — PBS Masterpiece (US and CA), PBS KIDS, PBS Living, PBS Documentaries, and PBS America (U.K.) as well as numerous Free Ad-supported Streaming TV (FAST) Channels in the U.S and U.K. In addition, the company reaches viewers through transactional video-on-demand (TVOD), subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) licensing, Advertising-based Video on Demand (AVOD), DVD and Blu-ray, theatrical releasing, educational platforms, non-theatrical and inflight sales, and serves broadcasters and producers providing program sales and co-production financing.
At PBS Distribution, we want to best represent the communities that we serve. The global community is diverse, and we are our best when we have a team that reflects that. PBS Distribution is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, celebrating, supporting, and thriving when our team is able to show up fully and authentically.
The Director, Co-Productions and Sales is responsible for setting strategy, forecasting, and negotiating company financing of non-scripted projects with key partners in international markets with a focus in France and Germany. This position is responsible for managing existing client partnerships for co-financing and building new relationships to expand production financing opportunities. The Director will play a pivotal role in forecasting, negotiating, and achieving annual sales targets in Eastern Europe, Switzerland, and Israel across all media platforms. This role will support the Commissioning Editor, Content, in building producer relationships and maintaining effective communication of strategy with key stakeholders including PBS, WGBH, WNET, and other PBS-producing stations.
- Set strategy, forecast, and negotiate co-financing of non-scripted projects with key partners in international markets with a focus in France and Germany.
- Manage existing client partnerships for co-financing and build new relationships to expand production financing opportunities.
- Forecast, negotiate, and achieve annual sales targets in Eastern Europe, Switzerland, and Israel across all media platforms.
- Manage the entire sales cycle and process from pitch to contract to complete all procedural deal requirements.
- Work with Commissioning Editor, Content to identify productions opportunities to expand and compliment the PBSd catalogue.
- Work with the Sales Team in the development and pursuit of new business opportunities and/or initiatives to maximize revenues.
- Support the Commissioning Editor, Content on building producer relationships and maintaining effective communication of strategy with key stakeholders including PBS, WGBH, WNET and other PBS producing stations.
- Work with the Commissioning Editor, Content and producer partners to develop and shape projects for optimal co-financing opportunities.
- Attend relevant industry conferences and tradeshows in addition to in-person client meetings.
- Negotiate all contracts with clients and work with the Legal Team for execution.
- Support PBSd’s mission and strategic/operational goals by performing other relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- 8 + years of international program sales experience
- In-depth knowledge of program content, media sales environment with a focus on non-scripted content.
- Existing relationships with key buyers in the international territories
- Familiarity with the content contracting process of both co-financing and sales deals
- Strong knowledge of television production, emerging platforms, and media technologies
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, or similar major or equivalent work experience
- Proficiency in English and an additional language (ex. Spanish, French, German, etc.) preferred
- Proven experience and knowledge in international media sales; particularly pitching non-scripted story concepts, content co-financing deal structure, program licensing, contracting, and negotiation
- Strong knowledge of rights definitions, contract terms, program databases, and client management
- Ability to work with a diverse and fast-changing client base, manage sales, and negotiate, close, and fulfill contracts
- Knowledge of television production, emerging platform, and media technologies
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong presentation and negotiation skills
- Working competency in MS Office (including but not limited to Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), FileMaker, MS Dynamics (D365 Preferred) and data management platforms and software including Rightsline
- Manage and balance workload driven by external clients and internal stakeholders
- Navigate and lead change and proactively problem-solve
- Conduct comprehensive research
- High level of corporate cultural competence and awareness
- Knowledge of PBS programming and content
PBS Distribution (PBSd) is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind.
*PBS Distribution is a for-profit organization with a mission to drive profitable growth by building key partnerships and distributing inspiring content. PBS Distribution is headquartered in Arlington, VA with an additional office In Boston, MA.