POSITION TITLE: Manager, Streaming Growth and Engagement (Hybrid)
DEPARTMENT: SVOD Channels
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
LOCATION: Arlington, VA
SUPERVISOR: Director, SVOD Channels
PBS Distribution (PBSd)* is a leading distributor of public media content around the world, entertaining audiences across platforms and formats. The company, a joint venture of PBS and GBH Boston, provides premium content through multiple digital channels and video services. PBS Distribution operates six subscription streaming channels — PBS Masterpiece (US and CA), PBS KIDS, PBS Living, PBS Documentaries, and PBS America (U.K.) as well as numerous Free Ad-supported Streaming TV (FAST) Channels in the U.S and U.K. In addition, the company reaches viewers through transactional video-on-demand (TVOD), subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) licensing, Advertising-based Video on Demand (AVOD), DVD and Blu-ray, theatrical releasing, educational platforms, non-theatrical and inflight sales, and serves broadcasters and producers providing program sales and co-production financing.
At PBS Distribution, we want to best represent the communities that we serve. The global community is diverse, and we are our best when we have a team that reflects that. PBS Distribution is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, celebrating, supporting, and thriving when our team is able to show up fully and authentically.
The Manager, Streaming Growth and Engagement is responsible for creative ideas! Creating and supporting programming initiatives to lift content discoverability, subscriber engagement, and retention across a growing portfolio of Specialty Subscription Channels. Working in partnership with the Channels team, content leads, and Marketing, this role is responsible for creating content programming and email marketing plans to leverage milestones and cyclical trends while lifting channel retention.
- Identify opportunities using content placements and promotions to drive usage, engagement, and subscriber retention.
- Create and maintain a comprehensive editorial calendar to track and leverage content and cyclical opportunities based on each channel’s needs, including multicultural opportunities, genre affinities, content anniversaries, newsworthy events, content release milestones, etc.
- Build carousel programming plan using editorial calendar to lift content discoverability and engagement across all channels.
- Manage and support all editorial and programming tactics, including carousel tagging, setting tile orders, updating editorial calendar, vetting content for approval, and quality control.
- Manage email marketing lifecycle, including building plans and campaign setup, updating tracking tools, managing creative requests, and data management and tracking.
- Partner with internal contacts, content leads, and Marketing team to align paid efforts, email marketing, and self-programming plans to lift subscriber engagement and retention.
- Communicate content and email marketing strategy to internal key contacts to ensure on time and effective setup and functionality.
- Partner with data leads and Business Intelligence team to build, test and maintain custom reports, and analyze all content and email marketing strategies.
- Liaise with digital partners to utilize back-end tools and provide meaningful feedback on new feature testing.
- Track and analyze competitive landscape, identify patterns and trends in the industry, and distribute key information as needed.
- Be the subject matter expert in content through content screening, research, and tracking of ratings, reviews, press clippings, etc.
- Prepare and track data and performance for content initiatives to be shared with internal and external key contacts. Use data to evaluate and document best practices.
- Gather data for monthly reports and quarterly business reviews with partners and producers.
- Support the development of producer presentations with an emphasis on visual storytelling.
- 5+ years’ experience in digital video distribution, streaming business, and content programming
- Experience curating content in genre-based or themed collections for programming or promotional opportunities
- Experience with partnership management and interfacing with clients and vendors in the digital industry
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, and Excel, with advanced skills in Powerpoint 365
- Experience with Airtable a plus
- Intellectual curiosity and passion for new media distribution and the entertainment industry
- Exceptional organizational, analytical, and attention to detail skills
- Understanding of the dynamics of the streaming industry and familiarity with complex media ecosystems
- Proven track record of effectively managing and reporting on detail-oriented projects
- Adapt rapidly in a fast-moving environment with shifting priorities and the ability to react quickly, dynamically, and thoughtfully
- Think and execute both strategically and tactically; ability to think big while being detail-oriented
- Develop business relationships with both internal and external customers
- React quickly to resolve short-term issues without losing track of longer-term goals; prioritize requests, self-direct and maintain focus under pressure and concurrent priorities
- Agile with new technologies and changing priorities
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision while meeting strict deadlines
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to interface effectively with multiple levels of management
- Project management skills - collect project requirements from stakeholders, author a plan of action with goals and timelines, delegate tasks efficiently with concise instructions, and follow through completion, meeting deadlines
PBS Distribution (PBSd) is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind.
*PBS Distribution is a for-profit organization with a mission to drive profitable growth by building key partnerships and distributing inspiring content. PBS Distribution is headquartered in Arlington, VA with an additional office In Boston, MA.