POSITION TITLE: Senior Data Engineer (Hybrid)
DEPARTMENT: Analytics and Technology
LOCATION: Arlington, VA
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
MANAGER: Director, Data Engineering
PBS Distribution (PBSd)* is a leading distributor of public media content around the world, entertaining audiences across platforms and formats. The company, a joint venture of PBS and GBH Boston, provides premium content through multiple digital channels and video services. PBS Distribution operates six subscription streaming channels — PBS Masterpiece (US and CA), PBS KIDS, PBS Living, PBS Documentaries, and PBS America (U.K.) as well as numerous Free Ad-supported Streaming TV (FAST) Channels in the U.S and U.K. In addition, the company reaches viewers through transactional video-on-demand (TVOD), subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) licensing, Advertising-based Video on Demand (AVOD), DVD and Blu-ray, theatrical releasing, educational platforms, non-theatrical and inflight sales, and serves broadcasters and producers providing program sales and co-production financing.
At PBS Distribution, we want to best represent the communities that we serve. The global community is diverse, and we are our best when we have a team that reflects that. PBS Distribution is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, celebrating, supporting, and thriving when our team is able to show up fully and authentically.
The Senior Data Engineer is responsible for the department's data value add work, including developing data models, maintaining a data warehouse and analytics environment, and writing scripts for data integration and analysis. This role will work closely and collaboratively with members of the Analytics and Technology teams to define requirements, mine and analyze data, integrate data from a variety of sources, and deploy high quality data pipelines in support of the analytics needs across the enterprise. They will also support the comprehensive Enterprise Data Catalog and manage other proprietary systems.
- Build, operate, and maintain ETL processes that gather data from video partners.
- Model data pipelines in DBT to prepare data for analysis.
- Write internal tools to assist with data cleaning and labeling.
- Adhere to high standards for code quality and testing.
- Clarify data requirements and priorities with other project teams.
- 5+ years of experience building backend software or services
- 3+ years of experience working with large scale data. (1+ TBs, 100M+ rows)
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Engineering, or related field
- 5+ years of experience building complex server-side Python applications, processing data with Pandas, optimizing complex SQL queries at scale, and consuming REST APIs
- 3+ years of experience modeling data in relational and columnar databases, building data pipelines in DBT, managing cloud infrastructure with Terraform, and building internal tools using Django, Streamlit, or an equivalent framework
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision while adhering to company policies, legal requirements, and customer specifications
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
PBS Distribution (PBSd) is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind.
*PBS Distribution is a for-profit organization with a mission to drive profitable growth by building key partnerships and distributing inspiring content. PBS Distribution is headquartered in Arlington, VA with an additional office In Boston, MA.