Kansas Public Telecommunication Service
320 West 21st Street North, Wichita, KS 67203
POSITION: Director of Education and Children’s Discovery Center
POSITION PURPOSE: PBS Kansas Channel 8 is looking for a mission oriented, creative, strategic leader to direct its new education services and oversee its new Education and Children’s Discovery Center. The Director of Education and Children’s Discovery Center, (E&CDC), is a senior leadership position that reports to the President & CEO.
Being the Director of (E&CDC) is a tremendous opportunity that will allow an education leader to maximize and strengthen the educational capacity of PBS Kansas, a well-respected, not-for-profit organization.
The Director will advance the mission and vision of the organization and implement effective strategies to provide services to diverse audiences. This person will increase engagement with the public and work to make sure families and schools are taking advantage of The Center.
- Seek out and apply for educational grant opportunities for books, and to sponsor the interactive displays in The Center.
- Coordinate with the Development Team to identify and secure funding support for programs, materials, equipment and interactive displays in The Center.
- Participate in the design and manage all on-site interactive learning areas.
- Manage assemblies, demonstrations, workshops, etc.
- Create and manage an annual program plan and budget to provide world-class visitor experiences and reach target audiences.
- Change out displays in a timely manner to be in line with ever-changing sponsorships.
- Recruit and manage volunteers who work at The Center.
- Work with the Marketing Department to promote and attract children and families to visit and have meaningful, interactive experiences.
- Work with Marketing and Production Departments to create spots to promote The Center and PBS Kansas educational services.
- Solicit funding for books so that PBS Kansas will have books to stock the reading room and be given to children as their first books and to those in need.
- The Director of Education and Children’s Discovery will also go out into the community to share books, promote reading and writing, and provide information about The Center.
- Build relationships and partnerships with like-minded partners and collaborators in the community to expand educational and interactive programs.
- Develop professional networks on behalf of PBS Kansas and form partnerships with organizations and businesses in the community that specialize in children’s activities, museums, non-profit, for-profit, educational institutions, and associations.
- Develop reading and writing experiences for children from Pre-school through Fifth Grade through writing and art contests.
- Reach disadvantaged children and minorities to promote reading and writing.
- Work well with staff and the public, forming partnerships with schools, and pre-schools.
- Work with PBS and local school districts to provide curriculum/resources as needed.
- Candidate should provide the voice for national & state standards for PBS Kansas educational content that reflects current classroom practices, education & student needs, as well as educational system priorities & trends.
- A full understanding of Common Core State Standards (CSAS) and the PBS Kids Apps that can be applied to The Center displays, labs, and workshops developed for PBS Kansas.
- Maintain a safe and secure environment for guests and staff.
- Maintain integrity and appearance of The Center’s education spaces, materials and props.
- Keep current in best practices related to informal education.
- Contribute to a positive, respectful, and creative culture.
- Bachelor’s degree in education and or other applicable degree.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in an educational leadership position.
- Excellent Oral/Written skills.
- Prior fundraising experience preferred.
- Bilingual a plus.