Deputy Digital Editor
Reports to Managing Editor
ABOUT THE ROLE
As our Deputy Digital Editor, you’ll be a leader on breaking and day-of news coverage for pbs.org/newshour. You’ll also be tapped into breaking, developing, and trending news; providing regular communication about the state of the news landscape to staff, as well as PBS NewsHour audience.
YOUR FIRST 90 DAYS
You’ll get to know your team and the wider organization, and how each group functions independently as well as part of the whole. You’ll establish key relationships with your peers, while being exposed to executives through participation in editorial planning meetings. You’ll contribute to enterprising and breaking news, features, and analysis reporting for the website starting on day one, and by day 30 you can expect to see your bylines on a variety of digital platforms.
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LKE
You are regularly contributing to both breaking and longer-form, in-depth news reporting. You bring a vibrancy and terrific ideas to pitch meetings. Your demonstrated passion for knowing the ideal way to produce content and ability to seamlessly jump from project to project will enable you to flourish and experiment with the look and feel of digital news. You’ve developed trust with executive leadership. And you have grown your own skills and can point to evidence in your improved reporting.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, or related field.
- 3-5 years’ experience covering daily news online.
- Ability to develop strong relationships across departments, as well as mentor staff.
- Working knowledge of AP style.
- Strong news judgement, writing, and copy-editing skills.
- Flexibility to manage multiple priorities on daily, weekly, and long-term schedules.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive and competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
- Generous 403(B) employer match
- Free parking