News Assistant, PBS NewsHour (2)
Department: NewsHour Productions, LLC
Supervisor: Associate Line Producer
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt, 1 year, $17/hr
The News Assistant program is designed to give recent college graduates practical experience in a broadcast news setting. During their tenure, News Assistants are exposed to many aspects of producing a nightly television news program and may have the opportunity to rotate through any, or all of the following areas:
- Field Shoots
- Researching stories and potential interview subjects.
- Assisting producers on field shoots.
- Completing general duties associated with the newsdesk.
- Logging video feeds.
- Contributing to digital content and online post-production.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Demonstrated interest in journalism and/or television production.
- Professional phone manner and solid administrative skills.
- Strong work ethic and effective time management.
- Knowledge of PBS NewsHour‘s journalistic style.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Prior experience in a broadcast news setting preferred.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
WETA is an equal employment opportunity employer. WETA does not discriminate against employees or applications on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.