Senior Software Engineer
Reports to: Director, Product
ABOUT THE ROLE
As our Senior Software Engineer you will work with the NewsHour Digital Team to design, build, deploy and test PBS NewsHour products, services and infrastructure. You will help identify, troubleshoot, and solve complex software engineering problems on the server-side as well as on the client-side. You will also help support and maintain the NewsHour’s cloud infrastructure on AWS.
This position will support our current content management system (WordPress) as well as helping us plan for future CMS options. Experience with WordPress is desired but not required.
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
You are able to translate requirements and build new features and functionality across our platforms on both the front-end and back-end. You participate in technical discussions regarding the direction of our content and publishing ecosystems. You contribute unique ideas regarding engineering best-practices and digital strategies. You are self-motivated with a conscientious mentality and a commitment to innovate upon high-quality work.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Expert knowledge and proficiency with an object-oriented language and software engineering design patterns.
- Expert knowledge and proficiency with SQL, relational databases and in-memory stores, such as Memcached and Redis.
- Strong understanding of Django or similar MCV-based framework.
- Bachelor’s degree in an information technology related field; minimum 8 years’ experience as a software engineer with a strong track record of supporting high traffic websites and applications; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- An interest in journalism.
- Excellent organizational, project planning, presentation, and time management skills with careful attention to detail.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive and competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
- Generous 403(B) employer match
- Free onsite parking
- Holiday and paid leave programs
- Tuition reimbursement
ABOUT THE PBS NEWSHOUR
With roots in public service journalism beginning in 1973, the PBS NewsHour today is on a mission to bring balanced, in-depth news coverage to all. Innovative and fast-paced, life at the NewsHour is focused on collaboration, trust, and above all, enterprising important, considered news. NewsHour is unique in that the team is small and tight-knit, and must accomplish what no other daily news organization does: be the gold-standard of reporting for a nightly, hour-long broadcast, and to crucial digital platforms.
You’ll enjoy working at the NewsHour if you enjoy contributing to meaningful reporting, working on small teams in which your ideas are not just valued but vital, and pushing yourself to grow your skills every day.
WETA is an equal employment opportunity employer. WETA does not discriminate against employees or applications on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.