Are you an assignment editor longing to be treated as the Rockstar that you are? Are you tired of everyone else getting the glory for your hard work? Well then maybe it’s time to come and work for PBS39/WLVT.
PBS39/WLVT is looking for highly-motivated and talented assignment editor to join what is a growing and award-winning news team that is unlike any in the Philadelphia market (DMA 4).
PBS39/WLVT is more than just Sesame Street and Arthur. We are a 52-year young non-profit located 90 minutes from Manhattan and 60 minutes from Philadelphia in the rapidly growing Greater Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania. Our broadcast signal reaches 12.4M from upstate New York to Cecil County, MD and from Staten Island, NY to Harrisburg, PA. Our core focus is on the counties that make up the Greater Lehigh Valley and their 3M+ residents. In 2018 we launched our flagship PBS39 News Tonight which airs at 6:30 pm and 11:00 pm and which has returned local news journalism to what had been a growing news desert. In addition to news, we produce weekly programs, assorted special events, and documentaries -- including English and Spanish language programs.
PBS39/WLVT journalists don’t focus on crime, traffic, weather or sports. Our newscasts reflect quality and substance over story quotas and our journalists aren’t held to package time limits ubiquitous at most broadcast news organizations.
PBS39/WLVT is looking for an assignment editor who is an expert at uncovering stories missed or ignored by other new stations. We’re looking for an assignment editor who enjoys working with reporters to help make our journalism the very best it can be. As a PBS39/WLVT assignment editor, you’ll work with a news team that speaks and practices community journalism with an emphasis on solutions and accountability journalism. You will look for stories that cover a wide range of subject matter, exploring the ‘how’ and ‘why’ of an issue and putting complex stories into context for diverse audiences — always aiming to tell the local stories that aren’t being told elsewhere.
MINIMUM YEARS AND TYPE OF EXPERIENCE
- At least two years of assignment editor experience in television newsroom with a proven track record of identifying content suitable for multiple platforms.
- Must be a positive, creative and forward-looking thinker.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, analytical, critical thinking and organization skills.
- Must have strong written communication skills.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Newsgathering, including developing story ideas and confirming information
- Consistently monitor, furnish, discover content through social media platforms and tools
- Ability to find and book characters who help define a story
- Establish & maintain a working story and contact files
- Monitor competitive broadcasts, cable and digital platforms
- Ability to put together a story coverage plan and layout with oversight from management
- Work with reporters to develop their stories including performing research and pre-interviews.
- Coordinating, planning, and executing coverage plan across multiple platforms
- Use data to inform and evolve newsgathering, storytelling and social media
- Managing logistics and resources
- Initiate & maintain communication with PBS counterparts
- Create original content in a written format
- Must have the desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment.
- Application of high journalistic standards and news judgment.
- Update social media channels
- Other duties as assigned.
OTHER JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field or comparable television work experience preferred.
- Office hours scheduled but flexible.
Please send via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- · Cover Letter
- · Resume
- · Salary Requirements
- · References
- · Please also indicate how you found out about the position
- · Include Assignment Editor in the subject line.
PBS39 is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time