Director of Technology – Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting
STATUS: Full-time, exempt
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Finance and Administration
The Director of Technology is responsible for planning, installing, maintaining and securing the broadcast, production, RF and IT systems and physical assets of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation. In this leadership role, the Director of Technology is responsible for designing, installing and maintaining technical facilities and platforms that allow our employees to perform at the highest possible level, and for our listeners and supporters to enjoy reliable access to our broadcast and digital services. This position is responsible for managing all aspects of engineering and IT operations and will create documentation, including but not limited to emergency and strategic plans.
The nature of our business, and of this position, is 24/7. The Director of Technology will be on call at all times to assist with both the planned and the unforeseen technical requirements of the organization.
About Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting
We are an independent, locally owned, community-supported public media organization. PCBC is home to 90.5 WESA and 91.3 WYEP, along with their related websites and digital services, all of which serve Pittsburgh and the surrounding communities of western Pennsylvania. The mission of PCBC is to create and distribute trusted content, build connections and strengthen our community through public media.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Employee development is critical to the missions of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting and its stations, so we invest resources in providing development opportunities for all employees.
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package that includes health, dental and vision benefits, a 403(b) plan with generous matching contributions, paid vacation and holidays, maternity and new parent leave, and a workplace that is fun, diverse and innovative.
- Maintain Broadcast, Production and IT Infrastructure
- Design, install and maintain the broadcast/RF infrastructure for both studio and remote sites, digital and internet broadcast equipment.
- Design, install and maintain studio and remote audio production infrastructure.
- Design, install and maintain digital production infrastructure.
- Ensure highest technical quality and reliability of all technical systems and facilities.
- Provide and oversee routine and emergency maintenance of broadcast systems in accordance with industry accepted best practices and standards as well as FCC compliance.
- Create test plans and test systems for broadcast equipment.
- Manage maintenance, operation and security of all information technology, computer and electronic data systems with IT Manager.
- Ensure the continual functioning of critical broadcast and production operations.
- Broadcast and Production Operations
- Assure reliable availability and function of all technical, production, broadcast and digital infrastructure.
- Maintain 24/7 on-call emergency availability to support all broadcast, studio and IT systems as required.
- Provide technical and production support for offsite broadcasting.
- Supervise training of staff in use of technical, production and IT technologies.
- Maintain PCBC operational logs and records of operational parameters; maintains Public Information File required by Code of Federal Regulations (47 C.F.R. §§ 73.3527)
- Technology Planning and Strategy
- Design and develop solutions and apply engineering concepts to broadcast transmission facilities to meet the organization’s broadcast requirements.
- Create equipment lists, floor plans, rack and console diagrams, and audio control diagrams.
- Evaluate remote sites for broadcast feasibility and specify any necessary facility/site changes.
- Create documentation to mirror department business practices, including but not limited to policy and procedures, training guides, maintenance logs, emergency plan and strategic plan.
- Keep informed of industry trends, best practices and standards and provide information to management regarding potential impact on current and future infrastructure needs and regulatory compliance.
- Oversees and maintains physical and digital security of all enterprise facilities and systems
- Manage facility and real estate operation and maintenance in conjunction with VP, Finance and Administration.
- Develop and manage department’s annual operating budget and forward looking 15 year capital plan.
- Supervise and assist the IT Manager, Technical and Production Engineer and all contract or freelance employees.
- Lead business relationships with infrastructure subcontractors and vendors.
- Function as the project manager on small to large project with teams of cross functional members, including responsibility for evaluating all reasonable options and making presentations to management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of and experience with audio production, digital, studio, remote, RF and broadcast systems and technologies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of components and complexities of broadcast automation.
- Success in designing and maintaining broadcast, production, technical and digital infrastructures.
- Maintains a clean, well-organized environment, with technical installations installed and maintained at the highest professional level.
- Up-to-date knowledge of technical standards in the broadcast industry, FCC guidelines, rules, and regulations governing telecommunications operations.
- Ability to interact effectively with all employees at varying levels of technical and operational proficiency.
- Ability to train and teach technical requirements and techniques to staff.
- Ability to prioritize tasks according to urgency, handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Work with others to accomplish complex technical goals.
- Strong team player with a commitment to relationship-building.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Climbing ladders and working on elevated surfaces.
- Must be able to lift 50+ lbs. with reasonable accommodation.
- Good manual dexterity for soldering and use of hand or power tools.
- Able to stand, walk, crouch, and reach while performing the duties of this job.
- Able to travel to transmitter sites at remote locations.
- Bachelors’ Degree in broadcast engineering or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 10 years relevant experience, including broadcast operations, engineering and maintenance, managing personnel and budgeting.
- Proven ability to install, maintain and upgrade broadcast, production and digital system software and hardware.
- Certified Broadcast Radio Engineer (CBRE) through the Society of Broadcast Engineers within twelve months of employment.
- Understanding of and passion for the mission of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation.
- Honesty and integrity in all dealings.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting places a high priority on employee safety and well-being; given the current COVID-19 pandemic, access to the Community Broadcast Center is restricted and most operations are remote. It is anticipated that we will return to primary operations at the Broadcast Center by the Fall of 2021.
This job operates in a professional office environment as well as offsite locations for transmitters. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and printers. Typical office hours are Monday – Friday, 9:00-6:00, however, evenings and weekend work are occasionally necessary.
Please visit the recruitment site here. All applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and three references. In your application, please let us know how you heard about the position.
This position is available immediately, and the search for candidates may be terminated without notice. No phone calls, please.