Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WPBA-TV30 and the digital service Atlanta PlanIt. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org
Job Title: Fill-In/On-Call Host (Temporary)
This is a temporary opportunity to fill-in as a Radio Host occasionally with WABE. (This is not a fulltime or permanent position)
The fill-in Host will substitute for the regular host as needed by the station. WABE is Atlanta’s number one station for public radio and we’re looking for experienced enthusiastic, reliable, results and detailed oriented individuals who demonstrate the drive to achieve. This is an opportunity for anchoring local news segments within weekday magazine programs heard on PBA’s broadcasting platforms. Must have experience as an on-air host, with journalistic experience in broadcasting. Strong public speaking, writing, interviewing, production, and editorial skills are a necessity. Candidates should embrace working under tight deadlines, working independently and as part of a team. Air shifts may vary and dependent on needs of station management, but not be limited to weekday mornings, midday or evenings (to include holidays).
- Serves as a fill-in WABE host during drive time shift, presenting local news, interviews and feature reports in the public radio style.
- Utilizes experience and personality to carry local segments of a public radio newsmagazine and works to deliver a higher market share.
- May conduct interviews with news makers on a breaking news timeline.
- Works to research, write, produce, compile stories and live on-air presentation of local content.
- Responsible for monitoring sources such as wires and social media for breaking news.
- Responsible for combo operation, running your own board.
- Participate in on-air fund drives and other fundraising activities.
- Other duties as assigned by Managing Editor and Station Management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Personable broadcast journalist to act as drive time host and senior producer.
- Proven record of accomplishment in news coverage, news gathering, news writing and news anchoring/reporting in radio or television.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct both live and tape interviews during on-air shifts, as well as generate story ideas and put together both spot news and feature news reports.
- Ability to respond to rapidly changing news events. Must be able to handle breaking local news during regular on-air shifts and host special programming.
- This position will have high visibility within metropolitan Atlanta.