Position Title: Assistant Director, General Audience Station Communications
Department: Station Strategy and Development
Corporate Area: Station Services
Supervisor: Director, Programming Engagement
The Station Strategy and Development team advocates for PBS member stations to maximize the value of the local-national partnership for both member stations and PBS. The team provides education and consultation for stations regarding content, product, and service offerings available from PBS, while developing multi-level professional development programs to foster collaboration, as well as individual and station growth.
The Assistant Director, General Audience Station Communications, provides support for internal PBS staff and PBS member stations managing inbound and outbound communications, primarily focused on general audience programming strategies and initiatives. Key functions of the position include executing internal and external communication strategies to connect PBS member stations to engagement materials for General Audience Programming.
The ideal candidate for this role possesses a background in communications and engagement, is well-versed in communications and marketing platforms, has a keen understanding of PBS stations, non-profits, or other membership groups, as well as a strong customer service orientation.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Execute station communication and engagement strategies in support of General Audience programming priorities.
- Support PBS member station use of General Audience programming in local outreach and impactful engagement.
- Manage station grants related to General Audience programming, including marketing opportunities for station grants, tracking grant fulfillment progress, and reporting on station grant results.
- Collaborate on communication and engagement strategies to deliver engagement materials and best practices to stations in support of PBS General Audience programming. Support the overall GA Station Communications plan.
- Serve as liaison to the digital marketing team, advocating for PBS member station needs to ensure success of PBS’ digital marketing strategies.
- Provide support to members of the Station Communications and Engagement team, including PBS Children’s Media & Education station outreach efforts, where possible.
- Advocate for all stations, ensuring that their needs are communicated throughout PBS
- Promote an environment of collaboration and inclusion, ensuring programs and projects are represented by a diverse group of voices.
- Represent PBS at system meetings and conferences as assigned
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements for success:
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and work experience in communications, media, or related field.
- 2-4 years of experiencing working in media or community engagement
- Knowledge of PBS and public television preferred
- Excellent project management and organizational skills, including the ability to work on multiple projects in varying stages of development and completion.
- Multi-tasker who can prioritize and allocate time according to priorities.
- Highly organized; proactive; takes initiative.
- Strong people skills, diplomatic with a customer service orientation.
- Extreme attention to detail and an iterative learner.
- Ability to work under stressful circumstances and react to change productively.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to work as a team player in a collaborative environment.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (especially Excel and PowerPoint).
- Email marketing skills (use of MailChimp).
- Fluent in digital and social media platforms and use.
- Basic web/graphic design skills a plus.
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.