Director, Station Communications & Operations
Department: Station Strategy and Development
Corporate Area: Station Services
Supervisor: Director, Station Relations & Communications
The Station Strategy and Development team advocates for PBS member stations to maximize the value of the local-national partnership for both member stations and PBS. The team provides education and consultation for stations regarding content, product, and service offerings available from PBS, while developing multi-level professional development programs to foster collaboration, as well as individual and station growth.
The Director, Station Communications & Operations, provides collaborative support across PBS to manage inbound and outbound station communications, specifically managing the technologies, processes, and strategies used to connect member stations to PBS’s products and services from PBS Digital, General Audience Programming, Fundraising Strategy, and PBS Children’s Media & Education. Assists in execution of the day-to-day operations of the Station Communications and Engagement team.
The ideal candidate for this role possesses a background in digital communications technologies and channels, is well-versed in community engagement, and has a keen understanding of station or other membership groups, as well as a strong customer service orientation.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee and set strategies for various communication processes, technologies, and platforms, including content management systems, customer relations management solutions, email communication technologies, and various community engagement tools.
- Maintain relationships with third-party vendors and service providers, re-evaluating as needed to maximize investment and simplify operational processes. Explore opportunities to leverage new internal and third-party technologies.
- Manage day-to-day operations of the Station Communications & Engagement team at large, and coordinate with other teams at PBS to use common processes, technologies, and platforms for engaging with stations.
- Collaborate with internal partners on best practices to improve strategy and outcomes for station outreach, with a focus on processes and platforms.
- Manage the editorial process for various PBS communications to member stations.
- Independently engage member stations as partners to gather and aggregate input on products and services (available from PBS or other sources).
- Evaluate and report analytics and key metrics to stakeholders and content managers
- Conduct surveys and open feedback sessions, using data to improve offerings, and suggest improvements to senior leadership
- Provide support to members of the Station Communications and Engagement team.
- Advocate for all stations, ensuring that their needs are communicated throughout PBS
- Promote an environment of collaboration and inclusion, ensuring programs and projects are represented by a diverse group of voices.
- Represent PBS at system meetings and conferences as assigned
Requirements for success:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience in communications, media, or related field preferred.
- Ability to interact with all levels of multi-faceted, fast paced corporation
- Excellent communication and diplomacy skills essential
- Strong editorial background
- Experience with digital resources, platforms, tools, and social media
- Experience in development of online service helpful
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent phone manner / customer service skills
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- Resourceful, self-directed, and flexible team player
- Strong skills in typing/word processing, graphic design, spreadsheets, electronic communications systems
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.