KWGS Anchor/Reporter reports to the News Director and anchors local news segments during am morning drive on NPR’s ‘Morning Edition’; occasional substitute anchoring during ‘All Things Considered’; reports on planned events, spot news and enterprise stories for broadcast and website; produce feature stories for broadcast and website; assist with updating station website and sharing content via social media, including on weekend “on call” rotations; field report or anchor during special coverage events, such as elections, severe weather, or station outreach events; provide reporting assistance and content to NPR and other national outlets; other duties as assigned.
KWGS is the primary public radio station for Tulsa, OK and northeastern Oklahoma, the 61st ranked media market in the country. The station is licensed to The University of Tulsa, a small private comprehensive university, and station employees are offered excellent benefits, including health coverage, 9% contribution to retirement through TIAA-CREF, and tuition benefits for the employee and dependents. With a low cost of living, and high quality of life index, Tulsa is a vibrant community with no shortage of important stories to tell.
- Writes and anchors three newscasts and nine updates including weather through morning drive and recording noon weather forecasts for broadcast, then posts to the station website, NPR One, and social media
- Gathers information and assets such as audio and images for reporting and stories, including monitoring and pulling relevant audio from meetings, hearings, and press conferences
- Researches, produces, reports, writes and voice assigns stories for broadcast and station website, including spot news and feature length stories on a general assignment basis
- Updates station website and shares stories via social media every weekday morning, and on a weekend “on-call” rotation
- Covers breaking news and contributes to the NPR national network newscasts and programs, as needed
- Assists and collaborates with other public radio stations in Oklahoma, sharing created stories, and working collaboratively with other station personnel on special projects
- Hosts or co-hosts other station programs or events, as needed
- Represents KWGS and Public Radio Tulsa at station-sponsored events outside of the station, including candidate forums, and other station-sponsored events including membership and fundraising events
- Occasionally assists on-air fundraising efforts through live-pitching during fund drives and/or producing fund drive promos, as available
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communications, or related field, or three years full-time reporting experience with a radio station, TV station, digital media or newspaper producing daily news; experience with at least one content management system; familiarity with AP style; excellent verbal communication skills and speaking voice; valid driver’s license and ability to travel locally and within state for news coverage. An equivalent combination of education and work experience may substitute for the education requirement.
Hours are Monday through Friday, 5:00am until 2:00pm; occasionally working evenings or weekends.
The University of Tulsa seeks to recruit and retain talented students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. The University of Tulsa is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply. The University does not discriminate on the basis of personal status or group characteristic including, but not limited to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, ancestry, or marital status.
The University of Tulsa is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Veteran
Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three references to: The University of Tulsa, Office of Human Resources, 800 S Tucker Drive, Tulsa, OK 74104 or submit online at: utulsa.edu/job-application. The review of applications will commence immediately and will continue until the position is filled.