The Public’s Radio seeks an Editor/Producer for its growing news department. The Editor/Producer will be responsible for daily assignments, edits and production of content for broadcast and digital channels. The Editor/Producer reports to the Chief Content Officer/Managing Editor. This is a full-time position with benefits to begin in the July of 2021.
What you will be doing:
Your work will primarily include working with a rotating team of reporters and interns to develop daily content for radio and web. You’ll be editing broadcast and web stories, including breaking news items. As part of a small, versatile editorial management team, you’ll also work with the Chief Content Officer in more strategic editorial planning for the news staff and help with coverage as needed.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has a passion for finding enterprise stories in the news
- Has experience editing both broadcast and digital stories
- Has demonstrated excellence in conceptualizing stories, guiding reporting and writing
- Has experience training and editing journalists
- Values working collaboratively with reporters of different backgrounds and skill sets.
The ideal candidate has:
- 2-3 years of journalism experience, including a minimum of 1 year as an editor.
- Knowledge of issues important to Rhode Island and southeastern Massachusetts
- A keen sense of the elements of a good story
- Demonstrated digital skills, including some familiarity with data visualization and photography
- Demonstrated audio editing skills, preferably with use of Adobe Audition
- Experience managing reporters, interns.
- Fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese
- College degree or equivalent experience
Job Duties include:
- Daily assignments
- Daily edits for broadcast and web
- Writing The Daily Catch, our email newsletter
- Scheduling occasional host interviews
- Production, including audio editing, mixing, as needed
- Management of The Public’s Radio intern program, including training and mentoring
- Work with CCO and Investigative Editor on assignments and story coordination
- Participating in on-air fund-raising, as appropriate.
- Working with our community engagement team to plan events and expand our community outreach.
- Other duties as determined by the Chief Content Officer.
The Public’s Radio is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) provider, committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. The Public’s Radio is a non-profit public media organization serving Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts.
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of Editor/Producer. No phone calls, please. Position open until filled. Salary commensurate with experience.