Senior Editor, Investigations
The Public’s Radio seeks a Senior Editor, specializing in investigative journalism, to join its growing newsroom covering Rhode Island and the South Coast of Massachusetts. Long-form enterprise and investigative reporting are central to the station’s commitment to local journalism. The Senior Editor reports to the Chief Content Officer. This is a full-time, grant-funded position with benefits to begin in the fall of 2020.
What you will be doing:
Your work will primarily include working with a rotating team of reporters, a staff researcher and interns to develop investigative and long-form stories for radio and web. You’ll be editing broadcast and web features as well as occasional breaking news items. You’ll also help train staff in investigative techniques and other journalism skills. As part of a small, versatile editorial management team, you’ll also work with the Chief Content Officer in more strategic editorial planning for the news staff and help with coverage as needed.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has passion for top-notch writing and creative, fact-based storytelling.
- Has demonstrated excellence in producing investigative journalism, including working with public records requests, and large data sets.
- Has shown leadership in conceptualizing stories, guiding reporting and writing.
- Has an interest in, and preferably experience with, collaborating with other newsrooms.
- Values working collaboratively with reporters of different backgrounds and skill sets.
The ideal candidate has:
- 10 years of journalism experience, including a minimum of 3 years as an investigative editor.
- Editing experience with multiple platforms, including broadcast, print and digital.
- Demonstrated proficiency in research and data journalism, including records requests.
- Knowledge of legal issues related to investigative reporting, including privacy, and libel.
- Experience managing a news team.
- College degree or equivalent experience
Job Duties include:
- Managing a rotating team of journalists, a staff researcher and interns as assigned.
- Developing investigative story ideas.
- Overseeing and editing of investigative projects, as approved by the Chief Content Officer.
- Multi-platform editing, including digital and broadcast elements.
- Assisting with other editorial duties at The Public’s Radio, including occasional breaking news editing and non-investigative projects
- Training staff in investigative techniques as well as other journalism skills.
- Participating in on-air fund-raising, as appropriate.
- Working with our community engagement team to plan events and expand our community outreach.
- Other duties as determined by the Chief Content Officer.
The Public’s Radio is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) provider, committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. The Public’s Radio is a non-profit public media organization serving Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts.
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume and three professional references to email@example.com with the subject line of Senior Editor, Investigations. No phone calls, please. Position open until filled. Salary commensurate with experience.