Who We Are:
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public media network whose mission is to strengthen the civic and cultural bonds that unite Southern California's diverse communities by providing the highest quality news and information service on air at 89.3 KPCC, online at LAist.com and through KPCC In Person. Since our founding in 1999, SCPR has been a fast growing, innovative, multi-platform public service newsroom. Every day, our staff helps audiences catch up on the latest headlines, solve the complexities of life in Southern California, and connect curious communities to one another.
SCPR is looking for a seasoned and multi-disciplined Data Engineer with demonstrable experience developing data integrations with enterprise data warehouses and CRMs like Salesforce Sales Cloud and Marketing cloud. Our members are critical to our present and future, and this role will be instrumental in helping us continue to improve audience insights in all stages of the acquisition funnel.
This person will work in close partnership with our digital product, membership, content, and underwriting departments to ‘connect the dots’ between disparate systems containing crucial audience data points.
Our ideal candidate will have experience developing engaging consumer-facing products and building integrations between and among enterprise-level software applications. We are looking for self-starters who value collaboration, learning new skills, and clean code. Candidates who have experience in media, marketing, and mobile are preferred.
- Architect and work to develop a data lake integrating member and contact data from Salesforce, our content management systems, audience acquisition databases and other internal systems.
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve data integrations and data security.
- Understand business and technology goals; present options and considerations in solution development and problem solving, being mindful of the cost/benefit prospect of developing quickly versus developing for long term sustainability.
- Support and train non-technical personnel in editorial, events, marketing, underwriting and membership.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of work experience in a full-stack and/or CRM development capacity
- Proven experience building integrations between disparate data platforms and CRMs
- Experience with architecting, development and performance tuning of relational databases
- Experience in working with large-scale, consumer-oriented websites
- Experience working with content management systems
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Experience with version control, code base maintenance and peer review
- Expertise writing queries in SQL and NoSQL
- Experience with relational, non-relational and columular databases
- Experience building and consuming REST and SOAP APIs
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure (AWS and GCP prefered)
- Excellent communication skills, especially around technical requirements
- Ability to interpret user needs, draft requirements and provide accurate work estimates
- Proven ability to work as an individual contributor
- Experience writing object-oriented code, preferably in Ruby and/or PHP
- You care about the details
- You excel in an interdisciplinary team. You seek perpetual growth
- You have a desire to understand and try out new technologies
- You find working creatively with constraints around resources, time, and ambiguity exciting
Reporting to this Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- May be required to work from home
- Required to walk, sit, and stand; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.