Who We Are:
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public media network whose mission is to strengthen the civic and cultural bonds that unite Southern California's diverse communities by providing the highest quality news and information service on air at 89.3 KPCC, online at LAist.com and through KPCC In Person. Since our founding in 1999, SCPR has been a fast growing, innovative, multi-platform public service newsroom. Every day, our staff helps audiences catch up on the latest headlines, solve the complexities of life in Southern California, and connect curious communities to one another.
AirTalk with Larry Mantle is one of the longest running daily, public affair shows in California. The award-winning broadcast convenes, connects and informs an audience that is passionate about current events.
The ideal candidate is an ace producer and manager who can deliver the show’s smart, engaging voice across all platforms. The position demands sharp editorial chops and the ability to elevate diverse viewpoints from communities across Southern California.
As the Senior Producer, you will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of production and building audience across broadcast, social and on demand channels. We’re looking for a Producer who is dialed into LA, where America’s future is unfolding. You understand the urgent need to practice more equitable journalism and are committed to collaborating with the entire newsroom to do so.
- Working alongside the host, plan daily and long term coverage goals.
- Supervise producers, associate producers, news clerks and interns.
- Maintain highest journalistic standards across all platforms.
- Track diversity of sources and hold staff accountable to sourcing goals.
- Communicate the vision of the program to the staff and collaborates with other newsroom colleagues to elevate KPCC’s editorial goals.
- Ensure the program’s overall tone and balance.
- Consistently assess the program’s content and priorities.
- Supervise editing and post production.
- Grow AirTalk’s on demand audience and boost downloads of Film Week podcast.
- Grow the program’s social media presence.
- Assist with managing the budget.
- Hire and lead staff by:
- Creating a culture of constructive performance coaching and regular, on-going feedback.
- Encouraging creativity, invention and productivity.
- Embracing diversity in staff make-up.
- Creating and encouraging individualized development opportunities and plans for staff.
- Originate story ideas for the program and produce segments.
- Line produce live broadcast of the program.
- Develop and produce special programs and remote broadcasts.
- Collaborate with Membership during fund drives.
- Assists with fundraising as appropriate.
- Oversee archiving of the program.
- Oversee production of promos.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in fast-paced, idea-driven media environments (broadcast or related)
- Experience working with on air talent
- Experience in breaking news situations
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to produce programs that meet SCPR standards
- Proven ability to contribute to a positive, diverse, creative, high performance culture
- Ability to advocate for program/resources/staff
- Supervisory skills and ability to recruit, coach and develop talent
- Leadership and personnel skills and ability to inspire and lead the staff
- Ability to manage change
- Skill and experience in budget management
- Ability to evaluate content/quality/sound and act decisively with sound management
- Knowledge of new media applications for digital distribution, audience engagement and community networking
- Ability to think and plan strategically
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships and represent program internally and externally
- Ability to foster and maintain high journalistic and production standards under deadline pressure
- Digital Editing skills (ProTools or other)
- Strong research skills
- Ability to deal with a broad variety of complex projects and assignments that may have impact across divisions
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Fluency in Spanish, Mandarin or other languages desired
- Experience reporting in California
- Experience growing social media audience
- Experience with design thinking
Reporting To This Position:
- Associate and Assistant Producers
- News clerks
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.