Who We Are:
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public media network whose mission is to strengthen the civic and cultural bonds that unite Southern California's diverse communities by providing the highest quality news and information service on air at 89.3 KPCC, online at LAist.com and through KPCC In Person. Since our founding in 1999, SCPR has been a fast growing, innovative, multi-platform public service newsroom. Every day, our staff helps audiences catch up on the latest headlines, solve the complexities of life in Southern California, and connect curious communities to one another.
We are looking for a top LAist editor who cares deeply about local news. This editor must be committed to leading a dynamic news site delivering daily and enterprise journalism that explains Los Angeles and deeply connects our audience with the communities we cover.
This editor will play a strong role in shaping the stories tackled by our public media newsroom, which is committed to practicing more equitable journalism in how our stories are assigned, reported, edited and presented. They will work very closely with other top newsroom leaders on vision and strategy to grow our local and loyal audience.
This is a newsroom in transition. Now in our 20th year of operation, we have deep roots in public radio. Our goal is to continue to expand our reach to become known as an anywhere, anytime source of news and information in Southern California. We have seen massive growth of our digital readership but know that’s just the start of what is possible.
You need to be a champion for LAist.com and also be innovative in how we maximize the content being produced across many platforms — radio newscasts, broadcast shows, on-demand audio, native social media stories, live events, digital-first writing, engagement projects and more.
It’s not an easy job. The ideal candidate must be a problem-solver, a cheerleader and an innovator, with a track record of empowering others to grow and excel.
We have a mission-driven newsroom and our focus is on building a vibrant digital membership program, which means working closely with our product team. We are also embarking on a major redesign of our website and CMS architecture, so experience managing a newsroom’s transition to new technology is a strong bonus.
The editor has to have strong communication skills and be compassionate. They will be driving change, managing a team through a remote working environment and giving meaningful feedback on a daily basis.
Application deadline: September 25, 2020 at 5pm PT
- Define the voice and coverage priorities for LAist that will grow a loyal digital audience
- Set audience goals and articulate strategy that will deliver desired outcomes
- Oversee daily and long-term planning for LAist, including editing stories
- Attend daily editorial meetings to help coordinate and execute coverage across desks
- Work across the organization with development and underwriting departments to drive revenue and audience growth.
- Coach staff on new approaches to digital storytelling in tandem with the social media editor, data editor and visual journalist
- Use analytics (ie: Chartbeat, Google Analytics) to make data-informed decisions that help grow traffic and engagement
- Uphold LAist content to highest editorial standards, consistent with the public media mission
- Serve as an editorial leader across the newsroom and work with other members of the management team to provide strong, consistent leadership of the department.
- Assist in development and implementation of editorial policies to achieve consistent, reliable quality and depth
- Provide clear guidance, feedback and supervision to assigned staff. This includes creating development opportunities to foster growth and assessing performance
- Represent newsroom internally and externally
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Two years editing or equivalent experience, including experience of managing the work of others. Minimum of 5 years of experience in reporting
- Experience reporting or editing in Southern California preferred
- Some experience providing work direction or supervisory experience.
- Some experience assigning stories and editing copy
- Experience with digital news production and presentation.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Familiarity with LAist and a strong understanding of its voice and tone
- Strong writing and editing skills, particularly for digital platforms
- Ability to use non-traditional approaches, including use audience engagement tools/methods, crowdsourcing and digital newsgathering techniques, such as curation and aggregation
- Deep understanding of how to distribute content and engage audiences on social media
- Ability to maintain high journalistic standards across multiple assignments on deadline
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with colleagues and supervisors
- Knowledge and fluency in AP style and usage
- Basic knowledge of SEO, particularly for headlines
- Ability to use analytics to drive decision-making
- Experience working with content management systems
- Leadership and personnel skills to develop high-performing teams
- Commitment to public service journalism
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Fluency in Spanish or other languages commonly used in Southern California.
Reporting To This Position:
Associate editors, producers, associate producers
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.