Who We Are:
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public media network whose mission is to strengthen the civic and cultural bonds that unite Southern California's diverse communities by providing the highest quality news and information service on air at 89.3 KPCC, online at LAist.com and through KPCC In Person. Since our founding in 1999, SCPR has been a fast growing, innovative, multi-platform public service newsroom. Every day, our staff helps audiences catch up on the latest headlines, solve the complexities of life in Southern California, and connect curious communities to one another.
LAist Studios is Southern California Public Radio's podcast production vehicle. The executive producer (EP) will supervise an incredibly talented team of storytellers who make shows that embody LA values; diverse and inclusive, forward facing and trend setting. The ideal candidate has a proven ability to execute an editorial direction, manage creative teams, build audiences and is wildly ambitious.
The EP will be responsible for assembling production teams, developing strategic vision for an ambitious slate of several shows/ franchises and sticking to a budget. The EP holds employees to the highest production and editorial standards while supporting their creative development. The EP must foster a "yes, and..." environment while also holding fast to deadlines, budgets and audience growth goals. Strong storytelling skills are a must, as well as the ability to coordinate across departments and think like an entrepreneur. Ideally, the candidate has prior experience as a showrunner supervising editors and producers. They also understand where the podcasting industry is, where it's headed and can think creatively and ambitiously about building a massive audience for LAist Studios.
- Deliver shows that meet the Studios' audience targets.
- Hire, recruit and retain a diverse team of audio creators for new and existing shows.
- Oversee development of shows, including how a show will be staffed, how it will sound, and how it will be structured.
- Guide producers, editors and hosts in producing sustainable, high quality shows that embody LAist Studios' content vision.
- Set daily and long-term production deadlines through participation in meetings and ongoing conversations with peers, partners and direct reports.
- Manage daily and long-term production budgets.
- Hire and manage internal and external talent and hosts.
- Get shows in shape for marketing and underwriting.
- Run group edits when necessary.
- Provide clear guidance, feedback and supervision to staff. Assess performance of staff by establishing standards and working to encourage professional development.
- Communicate continuously, collaboratively and effectively with head of studios and other senior leaders.
- Deliver performance reviews on time and up to the highest SCPR standards and ensure that managers they supervise deliver annual and midyear assessments to the same standards.
- Work with other members of the management team to provide strong, consistent leadership of the department.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Represent LAist Studios internally and externally.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of overall work experience, including a minimum of seven years of editing or producing experience.
- Experience supervising multiple shows with long form storytelling.
- Five years' experience at management level, including providing work direction or supervisory experience.
- Experience in maintaining high standards under deadline pressure, including objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Experience in building highly functioning and diverse creative teams.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Leadership and personnel skills and ability to develop high performing creative teams.
- Ability to work inclusively with a diverse staff.
- Strong writing, producing and editing skills essential.
- Knowledge of podcast industry standards, trends and issues.
- Knowledge of audio storytelling.
- Ability to make quick command decisions and effectively execute multiple assignments on deadline.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Fluency in Spanish or other languages commonly used in southern California
Reporting To This Position: Senior Producers, Hosts, Editors, Operations Manager
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment
- Reach with hands and arms
- Balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.