Job Title: Manager, HR Operations
Department: Human Resources
Division: Finance & Administration
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Reports To: CFAO
Status: Full-Time, Regular, Non-union
StoryCorps’ mission is to preserve and share humanity’s stories in order to build connections between people and create a more just and compassionate world. Since our founding in 2003, StoryCorps has provided half a million of people of all backgrounds and beliefs with powerful opportunities to record interviews about their lives, and leave a legacy for future generations in our archive at the Library of Congress. We bring these interviews to life in stories produced for broadcast on public media (including our weekly Friday morning broadcast on NPR’s “Morning Edition"), our podcast, and/or our animations. Together, these stories reach an audience of tens of millions. StoryCorps maintains a relentless focus on diversity, and seeks to highlight voices often underrepresented in mainstream media. While our stories honor and celebrate the diversity of humankind, they also remind us of the many values and experiences we share in common, building bridges of greater understanding.
Our work has been widely recognized with several George Foster Peabody Awards, a MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions, the 2015 TED Prize, and a 2016 Emmy award for our animation “Traffic Stop.”
This work couldn’t be accomplished without the unwavering commitment of the exceptional individuals who make up our organization. Our people are brilliant, hard-working, creative, and incredibly passionate about the vision we share: To touch the lives of every person in this country and to create a culture of listening in the United States.
The Manager, HR Operations will perform generalist Human Resources activities, with a focus on overseeing onboarding and offboarding activities, payroll and benefits administration, and compliance.
The successful individual must be a hands-on HR generalist comfortable rolling up their sleeves and “getting it done.” StoryCorps is a fast-paced, dynamic work environment, and the Manager must be flexible, adaptable, and above all, a team player. The ideal candidate is an organized, systems-oriented individual who embraces technology and employee self-service in order to increase productivity and efficiency in HR. A high level of professionalism is required; strong communication skills and impeccable attention to detail are a must.
The Manager, HR Operations reports to the CFAO and will work closely with them on benefits plan design and annual renewal activities, labor and employment relations, and other strategic HR activities.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of voices; some of our programs include our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, our Historias Initiative to record the life experiences of Latinos, and our OutLoud Initiative, focused on the voices of the LGBTQ community. We also seek to recruit and develop a staff whose diversity matches the diversity of the communities we serve, and we strongly encourage applications from people of color and the LGBTQ community. Cultural competence/humility and the ability to thrive in a diverse work environment is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Onboarding & Offboarding:
- Drafts and/or reviews employment letters and exit letters
- Leads HR orientation sessions for new staff
- Coordinates with supervisors and different teams regarding employee and intern onboarding and exit activities
- Oversees regular onboarding & offboarding workflow that is shared with IT and administration departments, and ensures completion of required activities
- Reviews and approves independent contractor request forms; communicates with IT, contracts, and admin departments regarding contractor onboarding
Payroll/HRIS & Benefits Administration:
- Manages biweekly payroll data processing, auditing and approving all payroll/HRIS updates
- Develops expertise in HRIS entry and reporting; leads HRIS trainings for new hires and performs HRIS entry during high-volume periods and/or when the Associate is out
- Administers employee benefits, including processing new enrollments, terminations, COBRA, disability and worker’s compensation claims, and family and medical leave requests
- Manages benefits communications, leads benefits information sessions, and resolves various ad-hoc questions and issues
- Oversees annual Open Enrollment activities
- Supports benefits planning and annual renewal activities – working closely with the CFAO to manage costs, evaluate potential changes to employee benefit offerings or vendors
- Handles requests for ADA accommodations
- Completes and files annual reports and tests to fulfill plan requirements
Other HR Activities:
- Supervises and directs the work of the full-time HR Associate, who supports all HR department activities
- Develops and documents standardized, best practice HR policies and procedures
- Participates in interdepartmental project teams and work groups, as assigned
- Prepares and analyzes HR metrics and provides reports that support decision-making in specified areas
- Complete other duties to support the Human Resources department and StoryCorps staff, as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of education + relevant work experience
- At least 4 years of HR experience, including benefits administration experience
- Knowledge of federal and NY state employment laws and benefits regulations
- Strong computer skills and advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel); passionate about using technology to improve efficiency
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Highly proactive style of work and demonstrated ability to function exceptionally and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment; ability to multitask while prioritizing important issues
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Sound professional ethics and sensitivity to the confidential nature of HR information
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to a growing, changing organizational environment; must be a team player and a self-starter
- Cultural competence/humility and the ability to thrive in a diverse work environment
- Experience with multi-state payroll and benefits administration
- At least 1 year of experience providing staff supervision
- Proficiency with Google applications
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.