The Manager, National oversees the delivery of all field recording services by StoryCorps’ team of National Facilitators, providing regular supervisory support, feedback, and performance assessment. The Manager assists in the recruitment of new Facilitators, their onboarding, and training. The Manager responds to StoryCorps Virtual and Onsite recording requests, maintains staffing logistics of the recording calendar, and provides oversight of travel guidelines and bookings for National Facilitators who traditionally travel roughly 60% of the year. The Manager serves as the primary liaison with other StoryCorps departments that plan recording days, including the Custom Services Department, Community Training, Production, and other StoryCorps Programs. The Manager will maintain all recording engagement policies and procedures, and regularly communicate and troubleshoot issues with various StoryCorps departments. The Manager will also be overseeing the implementation of COVID-19 safety protocols as we transition from virtual to onsite interviews.
Additionally, the Manager will be expected to serve as a Facilitator on recording engagements, as needed. When illness or emergencies prevent Facilitators from working and/or no Per Diem assistance is available, the Manager will be required to travel to the recording location and facilitate interviews.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
National Team Management
- Supervise, assess performance, and provide professional development guidance to up to six full-time Facilitators
- Assist in the recruitment and training of new Facilitators
- Oversee the National team’s transition back to onsite interviews, incorporating evolving COVID-19 safety protocols and procedure
- Support National Facilitators with NYC outreach recording partnerships
- Schedule and manage Per Diem Facilitators when they staff field recording engagements
- Manage the logistics of staffing and scheduling the National team recording calendar, including virtual and onsite interviews
- Lead National Team Meetings
- Plan and conduct Facilitator trainings, as needed, and regularly ensure staff skills are up-to-date
- Function as the primary contact for internal recording engagement planners
- Set expectations with travel for all National Facilitators, as applicable
- Manage National finances
- Facilitate StoryCorps Virtual and onsite interviews as needed
- Review interview activity reports and archival processing work completed by facilitators to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Assist the team in transitioning from virtual to onsite interviews
- Perform other duties to support the Interview Collection department, as assigned
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree or a similar combination of relevant education and experience.
- At least two years of relevant professional work experience.
- At least one year of experience providing staff supervision and evaluation
- Project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal, written/verbal communication, customer service, and collaboration skills
- Exemplary organization skills, multi-tasking ability, and attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience in developing and leading successful training programs
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Cultural competence and the ability to work and collaborate successfully with diverse groups of people
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with Macs
- Valid Driver’s License
PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated experience providing technical support and troubleshooting technical issues (preferably with digital audio recording equipment)
- Basic skills or fluency in a language other than English; Spanish highly preferred
- Occasionally lifting, moving, or carrying objects up to 40 pounds
- Manual dexterity, occasionally manipulating wires and small mechanical parts
StoryCorps’ mission is to preserve and share humanity’s stories in order to build connections between people and create a more just and compassionate world. Since our founding in 2003, StoryCorps has provided half a million of people of all backgrounds and beliefs with powerful opportunities to record interviews about their lives, and leave a legacy for future generations in our archive at the Library of Congress. We bring these interviews to life in stories produced for broadcast on public media (including our weekly Friday morning broadcast on NPR’s “Morning Edition"), our podcast, and/or our animations. Together, these stories reach an audience of tens of millions. StoryCorps maintains a relentless focus on diversity, and seeks to highlight voices often underrepresented in mainstream media. While our stories honor and celebrate the diversity of humankind, they also remind us of the many values and experiences we share in common, building bridges of greater understanding.
Our work has been widely recognized with several George Foster Peabody Awards, a MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions, the 2015 TED Prize, and a 2016 Emmy award for our animation “Traffic Stop.”
This work couldn’t be accomplished without the unwavering commitment of the exceptional individuals who make up our organization. Our people are brilliant, hard-working, creative, and incredibly passionate about the vision we share: To touch the lives of every person in this country and to create a culture of listening in the United States.
Job Title: Manager, National
Department: Interview Collection
Location: Remote / Brooklyn, NY
Reports To: Director, Community Partnerships
Status: Full-Time (35 hours per week), Regular, Exempt
Start Date: November 1, 2021
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
To apply, send application materials to the following link: https://storycorps.applytojob.com/apply/5w5xgRWMU3/Manager-National?source=CPB