We seek an enthusiastic reporter to join our team working on the weekly TV news broadcast, VPM News Focal Point. The Multimedia Reporter develops, reports, and produces innovative stories for VPM’s weekly half-hour multi-platform news magazine program covering news, politics, and cultural events in Virginia. The broadcast will include studio and pre-produced segments about issues important to Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley.
The ideal candidate will have strong journalistic standards and experience producing well-written, visually rich stories on deadline and will bring extensive knowledge of local and regional politics, current events, as well as Virginia history and culture. The reporter produces stories for the broadcast, website, digital, and social media and has strong knowledge of broadcast operations. The role is part of the VPM News team and reports to the Senior Producer.
Knowledge of public media is important, but the ideal candidate will also strive beyond the public media bubble to find people and voices that resonate meaningfully with our established and growing audiences, groups which are racially, ethnically, regionally, and politically diverse. VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community.
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR station in Richmond and distribution across our digital and television channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
• Works with the Senior Producer and Editorial Producer to develop a vision of the program’s government and civics reporting.
• Cultivates sources and pitch original story ideas that reflect the communities VPM serves.
• Researches, reports, shoots video, writes, and edits news and magazine stories for broadcast and multimedia platforms.
• Publishes reported pieces on the website, digital, and social media.
• Field-produces spots, news stories, and long form segments.
• Uses social media to break news, engage audiences, and expand sources and partnerships.
• Develops stories that impact Virginia’s diverse population and perspectives.
• Deepens VPM’s coverage of Virginia state and local politics.
• Serves as backup line producer.
• Mentors news interns and student journalists.
• Participates in community engagement and marketing activities and other audience interactions as assigned on behalf of VPM.
• Minimum 4 years of reporting and producing experience in public or commercial television news production, on-air reporting experience preferred
• B.A. degree or higher in journalism or related field of study is preferred, or equivalent experience
• Knowledge of journalistic standards and ethics with sound judgement and a commitment to objectivity, balance, and fairness
• Strong reporting, writing, technical, and news production skills
• Knowledge of Virginia politics, history, and personalities strongly preferred
• Experience producing broadcast, video, and multimedia content
• Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud and newsroom management software
• Experience with news gathering, transmission, and digital asset management technology
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and the ability to clearly communicate solutions that foster a culture of teamwork
• Ability to perform well under pressure, multi-task, meet deadlines, and be flexible
• Flexible to work unusual hours in remote locations, as needed
Apply by sending your resume, cover letter, and reel to email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.