VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR station in Richmond and distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
We are looking for an inspiring, experienced and mission-driven individual to lead our news team into the next phase of growth. As an innovative team manager reporting to our General Manager, Multimedia News, you will pursue new and exciting ways to help VPM expand its local news coverage across platforms to more effectively serve our entire community. As a persuasive and passionate communicator, you will develop and implement strategies to ensure the long-term success of the news department and VPM at large.
The ideal News Director should have knowledge of public media, but also strive beyond the public media bubble to find people and voices that resonate in new ways. We are looking to develop coverage that distinguishes the station and connects with racially, ethnically and politically diverse audiences, among others.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
• Creates, implements & refines VPM's Newsroom editorial vision, mission, strategic plan, priorities and policies.
• Manages news content production and ensures it is consistent with the vision, mission, goals and editorial policies of the newsroom and the station.
• Directly supervises professional staff of editors and oversees reporters and producers.
• Plans and directs daily and breaking news coverage.
• Ensures that reporting produced by VPM News staff, commissioned reports or reports produced in collaboration with other stations or news organizations meets professional, editorial and technical standards.
• Establishes and supervises online and digital news editorial strategy and collaborates on new digital news products.
• Executes short, medium and long term planning around news events and special projects.
• Liaises and collaborates with other departments.
• Establishes and fosters relationships and collaborations with other news organizations in line with VPM priorities.
• Develops and maintains newsroom budget and expense management.
• Is committed to student learning and VPM's established, successful internship program.
• Makes public appearances on behalf of the station.
• Bachelor's degree and at least five years of journalism experience; or equivalent experience.
• Experience working in public media is a plus.
• Reporting and editorial experience with at least three years of news management experience.
• Deep knowledge of and commitment to the tenets, ethics of journalism and the role of journalism in society.
• Openness to testing and creating innovative content on all platforms and testing new forms of audience engagement in the reporting process.
• Commitment to enterprise, investigative and unique reporting.
• Demonstrated history of attention to racial equity in editorial practices.
• Understanding and commitment to community engagement through an audience-centered approach to coverage.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating respect for diverse constituencies.
• Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Requires a car, other reliable or easily accessed transportation to get to a scene, as needed.
Apply by sending your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.