The Senior News Producer will lead the production of a weekly one-hour multi-platform magazine program, which will include live and pre-produced segments that cover news and topics important to Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. This role sets the strategic vision of the series and provides editorial direction. Leading by example to develop, produce, write and edit the weekly shows for broadcast and digital distribution, this role is part of the VPM News team and reports to the Executive Editor, Multimedia News.
- Manage a team of full-time and freelance staff to produce weekly one-hour magazine program for digital and broadcast distribution, which includes production, pre-production, editing, writing, research, talent management and booking guests.
- Set the overall look, tone, style and approach of content productions, including graphics, music, set design, etc.
- Leverage audience data across platforms to develop broadcast and digital strategy and audience goals.
- Work with Executive Editor, Multimedia News, to ensure accuracy, fairness and editorial integrity in the content production.
- Responsible for managing the series budget and associated licenses and contracts.
- Collaborate with colleagues across departments to develop segments that are relevant to the community and reflect the diverse populations served by VPM, in the genres of news, arts & culture, science and history.
- Ensure compliance with FCC and public media rules.
- Produce specials such as debates and election coverage.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in television production preferably in news.
- Possess a strong commitment to journalistic standards and ethics.
- Working knowledge & understanding of Nielsen rating and digital analytics.
- 5 years of leadership experience managing, mentoring and coaching cross-functional teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to perform well under pressure, multi-task and experience meeting strict deadlines.
- Ability to be a self-starter, decisive in making decisions and work with minimal supervision.
- Flexible to work unusual hours in remote locations, as necessary.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.
Apply by sending your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled.