This position requires an experienced advertising sales professional who will be responsible for establishing new corporate support business, developing current business relationships and ensuring client satisfaction within the unique guidelines of a PBS Station. An ideal candidate will be required to assist in the planning, organizing and conducting of corporate support strategies then implement with a high-degree of self-management. Responsibilities also include the ability to research and qualify business leads in the community for the purpose of soliciting underwriting funds to provide sustainable revenue growth for the station. The position requires no less than 50% of the salesperson’s time be spent on out-of-office calls.
Essential Functions: Personal Sales
- Meet or exceed your individual sales goal on a monthly basis.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with current accounts.
- Develop new business.
- Prepare creative written and oral presentations to secure business utilizing station program inventory, the ValleyPBS website, social media, sponsorships and special events marketing.
- Strive to sell in a way that is consistent with standards and practices of ValleyPBS.
- Seek creative solutions to meet client needs through utilization of ValleyPBS products/services.
- Establish and maintain trade agreements between ValleyPBS and selected businesses and nonprofits.
- Solicit and secure sponsors for station events and functions.
- Join selected service clubs and attend functions as appropriate.
- Works outside of the office at least 50% of the time.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with business clients and co-workers.
- Meet all FCC guidelines.
- Represent the station in a highly professional manner that meets with the station's market image.
- Follow station guidelines regarding:
- Copy approval
- Copy and traffic deadlines
- Account receivables and collections
• Customer Service: anticipating, meeting and/or exceeding customer needs and expectations.
• Self-management: demonstrating self-control and an ability to work on one’s own with minimal supervision, effective time management and setting priorities.
• Written and Verbal Communication: Excellent oral and written communication skills. Easily articulate. Write clearly and succinctly.
• Persuasion: convincing others to change the way they think, believe or behave.
• Interpersonal Skills: effectively communicating, building rapport and relating well to others.
• Goal Oriented: energetically focusing efforts on meeting a goal, mission or objective.
• Presenting: communicating effectively to groups.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to achieve each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Mathematical Skills: ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
• Language Skills: ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
• Reasoning Ability: ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
• Computer Skills: to perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and account management software. Ability to work with a variety of Windows based software programs.
• Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university; and at least three (3) years demonstrated successful sales experience.
• Other Skills and Abilities: knowledge of local market including decision makers, local events and key accounts.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Must have current driver's license and clean DMV record.
ValleyPBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled.
1. A completed ValleyPBS application form, which can be found at valleypbs.org.
2. Resume with accurate references
3. To fulfill our FCC license requirement, recruitment source where you learned about this position (CPB Jobline).
4. A written sales presentation to a potential ValleyPBS business client. If you are among the final candidates, you may be asked to make a presentation to the Interview Committee.
Senior Vice President,
Content & Development
(559) 266-1800 x 350
No phone calls please.