WAMU 88.5 is Washington DC’s leading public radio station for NPR news and information. It’s our mission to connect Washingtonians with each other and the world through balanced, enlightening, inspiring and entertaining programs of the highest quality.
The Chief Advancement Officer- (CAO) will serve as WAMU’s senior fundraising expert, managing all aspects of the revenue cycle, including marketing, communications, membership, development, sponsorship and donor relations. The CAO is a dynamic, ambitious, and collaborative leader who will lead a team of professionals responsible for growing and engaging WAMU’s audience and revenue, by continuing to build and enhance a consistent, inspiring brand identity that raises the profile, prominence, and value of WAMU regionally and nationally. The CAO will report directly to the General Manager and manage a comprehensive philanthropic revenue program that includes a membership program with more than 70,000 active donors; major, planned, and institutional giving; as well as an outsourced sponsorship team of B-to-B professionals. This is key member of WAMU’s executive team, and working with stakeholders across the organization, the CAO will be responsible for developing and implementing a revenue strategy that leverages the organization’s marketing, communications and fundraising efforts to drive sustainable growth.
- Strategy Planning and Management: Creates comprehensive annual and multi-year philanthropic revenue plans that draw from best practices in the modern media and fundraising landscape to increase membership to at least 110,000. Leads the development and execution of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for existing and new mid and major donors, expanding the pool of Leadership Circle donors.
- Marketing and Engagement: Oversees development and implementation of comprehensive marketing and engagement strategies, with an emphasis on engagement, loyalty, and revenue, while also building increased awareness for the specific programs/personalities. Collaborates with executive team and members of the Branding and Engagement team to lead development of WAMU brand strategy.
- Fundraising: Champions digital channels as a critical and growing source of philanthropic revenue. Oversees all facets of WAMU’s individual giving and foundation funding programs and staff.
- Communication: Oversees development and implementation of WAMU communications strategy, including advertising campaigns and development of presentations collateral and marketing materials. Primary liaison to external organizations contracted to handle communications needs, including public relations, crisis communications, and advertisement strategy.
- This position manages approximately 4 direct reports and oversees an approximately 25-person team and our outsourced sponsorship team.
- Minimal travel required.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full Time, 35 hours/week.
- Division Leader C.
- Commensurate with experience.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- 10+ years of relevant experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree or equivalent.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience in a complex fundraising organization.
- A proven track record of successful fundraising with high net worth individuals. Demonstrated success closing major gifts.
- Experience working successfully with sophisticated, high-level civic, cultural, and corporate leaders in a major metropolitan area.
- Experience building and overseeing a strategic, multi-faceted development and membership program across platforms.
- Highly experienced in digital fundraising, with a forward-thinking, digitally savvy mindset.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, evaluate, and advance strategic development plans.
- An outstanding manager with a demonstrated commitment to working with and motivating a diverse range of people.
- Proven ability to build and inspire a team, handling both strategic and day-to-day functions.
- Experience with major capital campaigns.
- Strong facilitator and coordinator skills with outstanding leadership abilities and interpersonal skills; must having credibility, good judgment, integrity, and trust and motivate others in a similar vein.
- Adept at planning, prioritizing, organizing, and following through.
- Experience with CRM software and technology best practices to support philanthropic fundraising.
- Excellent writing, verbal communication, and public speaking skills.
For more information, please visit this page.