WAMU 88.5 is seeking an Editor to join its newsroom and play an important role in multi-platform coverage. If you’re an experienced editor with a passion for news, we’d love to hear from you.
WAMU 88.5 is the leading public radio station in the greater Washington, D.C. area, and DCist. is our digital outlet for local news. We provide accountability and enterprise reporting alongside essential news, information, and service journalism with the goals of reflecting and serving the diverse communities of our region.
The Editor leads a cross-platform, multimedia coverage team of reporters, ensuring that WAMU and DCist have thoughtful and insightful coverage of the D.C. region. The Editor directs multiple reporters, each focused on core WAMU coverage areas, and primarily edits them for broadcast. They will also coordinate with a digital counterpart and provide web edits, when needed.
The Editor acts as a sounding board for their team, helping reporters find fresh angles for both daily and enterprise stories, and ensures the development of diverse sources that reflect the communities we serve. As a manager, this person will support individual reporters’ growth and career goals, helping to identify opportunities that advance their desired skillsets.
The Editor is responsible for driving a distinctive editorial style, with an emphasis on depth and analysis, and utilizing natural sound, community voices, and best practices in narrative storytelling. They will support efforts to cover daily/breaking news as well as features and other enterprise work, and will work a rotational weekend shift.
The Editor reports to the Senior Editor, Audio and works closely with other Editors to enforce a unified vision for WAMU’s regional coverage agenda.
What you’ll do:
- Drives the vision and execution of stories from a team of reporters, ensuring work is timely, accurate, and reflective of the region’s diversity in both sourcing and topic.
- Serves as the primary broadcast editor on stories generated by reporter team, and edits digital stories as needed.
- Exercises judgment in setting deadlines and expectations for reporters, and communicates those expectations clearly.
- Supervise, coach, and mentor reporters, ensuring they have the adequate training and support to continue growing.
- Regularly check in with reporting team to go over all stories and projects in the works.
- Work to promote a collaborative, inclusive, and encouraging team culture.
And much more…
You’re experience and attributes:
- Degree in journalism or related field, or equivalent experience
● 5+ years of storytelling/journalism experience, with leadership experience or demonstrated leadership potential.
- Skill at editing broadcast radio for narrative strength, storytelling style, speed, and factual accuracy. Digital editing and production skills are also highly valued.
- Keen sense of what differentiates public radio journalism and a commitment to the mission of public media.
- Strong news judgment, with the ability to discern what differentiates a WAMU/DCist story from other local news outlets.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and to set and meet deadlines.
- Creative approach to stories, both in terms of generating fresh angles and experimenting with new formats and approaches to stories.
- Collaborative, congenial and upbeat workstyle.
- Commitment to inclusivity and compassion, both on our team and in our coverage.
- A desire to guide colleagues to common goals and mentor reporters to strengthen and grow their skillsets.
If you are interested in this position, please go to the link below and complete application process.