WAMU is Washington DC’s leading public radio station for NPR news and information. It’s our mission to connect Washingtonians with each other and the world through balanced, enlightening, inspiring and entertaining programs of the highest quality.
The Senior Producer 1A, working with minimal supervision from the Executive Producer, generates ambitious short and long-term coverage plans, and builds strategic partnerships for a nationally distributed live news talk show with a presence across multiple digital media platforms. The Senior Producer oversees the research and assignment of a wide range of political, cultural, sport, literary, and social topics; and the conceptualization and shaping of compelling stories on air and online.
This position is part of WAMU’s Content division. The Senior Producer oversees 3-5 producers and a number of part-time producers.
Typical hiring range is $90,000-$105,000: commensurate with experience.
What you will do:
- Oversee the identification of issues and themes concerning modern Americans, and the production & scheduling of original news making content for broadcast and digital platforms.
- Manage the planning, shaping, and execution of segments related to national and international current events, with an eye towards creating compelling content that sparks vibrant conversations on air and online.
- Frame issues for debate; identify, contact, and interview potential guests under stringent time deadlines; and oversee and write scripts for the on-air host.
- Manage the development and implementation of multimedia content for non-broadcast platforms. This will include a combination of audio editing, photography, video production, and basic graphic design.
- Oversee the writing, review, editing and distribution of promotional descriptions of upcoming programming to be used on air and online by WAMU personnel, public information office at American University, and NPR stations which carry the program across the country.
Your experience and attributes:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- 5-8 years of relevant experience required.
- 6+ years of experience in journalism and media, with at least 5 years working at a national level.
- 2-5 years’ experience managing a team.
- An established network of contacts with national and international newsmakers.
- Experience managing and producing content for a live daily talk program.
- Experience developing high-quality digital-only content.
- Proven ability to establish and grow online audiences.
- Extensive news experience working on tight deadlines.
- Exceptional editorial judgment.
- Superb oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to identify trends and to generate and execute complex creative ideas.
- Keen understanding of national and international current events, and excellent news and narrative judgment.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check.