WBEZ 91.5 FM Chicago, is seeking a part-time, weekend anchor to guide listeners through their weekend mornings in Chicago. As our Anchor, you will have a friendly on-air presence to host live broadcasts, deliver newscasts, and write and deliver the continuity that knits the station together each weekend morning. During active news cycles, the weekend anchor may conduct live or pre-recorded interviews.
You will be a vital part of our connection to our listening audience and acts as the final gatekeeper for our on-air product. Therefore, the ideal candidate must have excellent news judgement, an engaging and natural on-air style, a thirst for accurate, timely news coverage, strong technical skills, meticulous attention to detail and accuracy, and the ability to write quickly and compellingly for audio.
This position works closely with editors and producers to ensure that our content is fair, objective and accurate. The anchor must integrate network and WBEZ content seamlessly and use social media creatively and responsibly to extend our audience engagement. Candidates should enjoy working independently and be comfortable adapting to changing schedules and technology.
In addition to regular weekend shifts, the weekend anchor may substitute for regular anchors as available and as operational needs arise.
Since this is an on-air position, we need to hear your newscast delivery. We can’t get that by reading a resume. Somewhere in your cover letter you MUST include links (Soundcloud, YouTube, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.) to samples of your on-air work.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Hours: Saturdays 6am-1pm; Sundays 7am-1pm
- Presenting on-air content including news, weather, continuity and funding credits
- Writing, preparing and anchoring regular newscasts
- Writing, reporting and recording newscast items, including interviews, spots and copy
- Anchoring occasional special broadcasts, including coverage of live, breaking news
- Possible fill-in for weekday anchor shifts as available and as operational needs arise
- Working closely with web team to ensure timely coverage and adept social media engagement
- Mentoring and training back-up hosts
- Participate in on-air fundraising and represent WBEZ to the community
- Other duties, as assigned
Required Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated mastery of on-air presentation skills and talent at live anchoring
- 3+ years of experience in a broadcast or digital newsroom environment; experience at a public radio station and familiarity with NPR programs is desirable.
- Experience preparing and delivering newscasts, including writing & editing for precision and accuracy
- Must also be proficient in live board operation, ENCO playback or similar software, as well as digital audio editing
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to track developing stories
- Ability to work well with colleagues and thrive in a collaborative environment
- Thoughtful, creative, energetic, collegial, calm under pressure and flexible
- Knowledge of Chicago and Illinois issues is a plus. Anchors are expected to be informed in a wide range of topics beyond current events, including arts, culture, film, history, science and public policy
- Prefer experience hosting Weekend Edition or another NPR News Magazine at a public radio station
- The ability to work a flexible schedule (early weekday mornings, evenings, and holidays), filling-in for other anchor shifts as needed is a huge plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent training and professional experience
This position is represented by SAG AFTRA.
About Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest and most respected public media organizations in the country. The organization has a legacy of innovative program development having launched such iconic shows as This American Life, Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me, Nerdette, Making Oprah and the ground-breaking podcast Serial.
Chicago Public Media engages with its listeners and users across multiple platforms, including broadcast radio, digital streaming, and mobile apps. Our flagship station, WBEZ-Chicago (91.5 FM) is Chicagoland’s premier media hub for high-quality, fact-based journalism and engaging, entertaining audio programs and podcasts. WBEZ’s sister service, Vocalo (91.1 FM in Chicago, vocalo.org everywhere), targets a multicultural audience through an urban alternative format.
Our associates are in service of our mission. We bring together a community of about 150 full-time, part-time associates and an on-going cohort of interns at our newly renovated open and collaborative space at Navy Pier in Chicago, IL. We know it is imperative that our workplace reflects our community so we can, in turn, provide content that connects people. We are committed to having a workplace that thrives by creating a place of belonging where everyone can contribute their talents. If you share our passion for public service news and information, join us!