About Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest and most respected public media organizations in the country. The organization has a legacy of innovative program development having launched such iconic shows as This American Life, Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me…, Nerdette, Making Obama and the ground-breaking podcast Serial. Chicago Public Media engages with its listeners and users across multiple platforms, including broadcast radio, digital streaming, and mobile apps. Our flagship station, WBEZ Chicago (91.5 FM and wbez.org) is Chicagoland’s premier hub for trusted, fact-based journalism and engaging, entertaining audio programs and podcasts. WBEZ’s sister service, Vocalo (91.1 FM in Chicago, vocalo.org everywhere), targets a multicultural audience through an urban alternative music and culture format.
The Opportunity: Data/Visuals Reporter
As a Data/Visuals Reporter, you will join a diverse team of news editors, reporters, and producers responsible for programming our digital platforms — web, social media, and our daily newsletter. Ideally, you will be an editorially focused developer with a sophisticated graphics sensibility, and a passion for data-driven, visual, and written storytelling, who can maintain and utilize a set of tools and templates to enhance our digital storytelling, from daily visuals to special documentary presentations.
- Collaborate with reporting teams to support enterprise projects and presentations with data journalism and innovative storytelling
- Package and produce stories in ways that are surprising, entertaining, and thoughtful
- Plan proactively and identify strong interactive, visual, and graphics opportunities across the newsroom
- Brainstorm visual/data coverage ideas and find gaps in current story planning
- Help edit and execute data visuals for daily, long-form, and breaking news, including maps, charts, and graphics
- Using Google Analytics, monitor the web performance of stories and analyze for future improvements
- Conceive and execute consequential reporting projects that involve data gathering, analysis, and/or presentation. This will include finding, managing, refining, and analyzing data sets
- Graphic design production for web and social media, including photo illustrations, type treatments and original artwork
- Participate in cross-departmental product development work groups and content brainstorming sessions
- Project manage complicated stories and editorial collaborations
- Perform daily digital production work as needed
- Work occasional weekends and holidays
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, web design, or related field
- 1+ years of digital journalism experience in a deadline driven environment
- Familiarity with modern mapping tools (Arc, QGIS, MapBox, Maps4News, etc.)
- Content Management System (CMS) and digital media production skills
- Ability to produce high quality work in a collaborative environment
- Well-organized and focused while working to quickly meet multiple deadlines
- Proficiency with current social media platforms
- Familiarity with AP style and journalistic standards for accuracy and fairness
Working at Chicago Public Media
At Chicago Public Media we believe dedication to a great workplace includes supporting our employees and their families. As a result, we provide a broad and generous benefits package for you at hire and in the years to come. Our benefits include:
- 6 weeks fully paid family leave
- 12 weeks paid maternity leave
- High quality medical, dental, and vision plans at an affordable cost
- A 403(b)-retirement plan with a company match
- Generous paid time off, including starting with 3 weeks’ vacation and 4 personal days
Due to current COVID restrictions, you must be able to work remotely at your own designated location with Internet access and you must be willing and able to work at our Navy Pier offices, if needed. Right now, most of our staff is working remotely.
The essential functions described above are not all-inclusive and may change periodically to meet the needs of Chicago Public Media (CPM). The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. Chicago Public Media may change the content or format of this job at any time in its sole and exclusive discretion without notice.
Chicago Public Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we actively seek and welcome people from all backgrounds, orientations, and life experiences to join our team.