WBHM 90.3 FM — NPR News for the Heart of Alabama — seeks an executive director to build on its positive momentum and lead the award-winning, University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)-licensed public radio station serving Birmingham, Ala., and the surrounding region. In 2021, WBHM won a highly coveted national Edward R. Murrow award for Overall Excellence in Small Market Radio. In back-to-back years — 2021 and 2022 — the Alabama Broadcasters Association named WBHM Radio Station of the Year at its annual ABBY Awards.
As Executive Director at WBHM, you will lead a team in planning, implementing and directing all administrative, programming, community engagement, sponsorship and underwriting, technical operations and fundraising activities of WBHM 90.3 FM and the Gulf States Newsroom.
We will rely on you to:
- Manage functions, including budget, personnel, strategic planning, staffing and assuring compliance with National Public Radio, Corporation for Public Broadcasting and Federal Communications Commission rules/regulations, as well as any other legal/contact/regulatory requirements
- Measure and analyze the station’s objectives and short- and long-term plans to meet the station’s goals
- Provide vision, leadership and support for station’s management team and position WBHM staff for success in a positive work environment that effectively serves WBHM listeners
- Stay current on industry issues and participate in/represent the university in regional and national public broadcasting organizations
- Ensure compliance with legal/contract requirements, including CPB/NPR/PRI and APM, as well as Federal Communications Commission rules and regulations
- Cultivate members and maintain relationships with key constituents (e.g., WBHM Friends Board and WBHM Junior Board)
- Serve as the station’s major gifts and planned giving officer in coordination with the UAB Office of Advancement
- Write and administer a variety of grants, including annual and special CPB grants, PTFP equipment replacement grants, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in broadcasting, communications, journalism, business, marketing, advertising, public administration, nonprofit management, advancement/fundraising or related field and 7 years of related experience. (Work experience may NOT substitute for education requirement.)
- Strong organizational skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills that inspire confidence
- Proven fundraising abilities, including strength in securing support from major donors
- Sincere commitment to UAB’s shared values, including integrity, respect, collaboration, excellence and achievement, stewardship, accountability and meaningful diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility in operations, programming, culture and beyond
- Focus and experience with leading successful strategic planning processes
- Adept at solving problems and making difficult decisions with the ability to assess and prioritize
- Ability to drive innovation and generate significant organizational and service improvements to keep WBHM current and relevant as media landscape evolves
Free from commercial and political influence, WBHM seeks to make Birmingham and Alabama a better place to live by educating, engaging and entertaining the people of our metro area and our state.
UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of race, national origin, age, genetic or family medical history, gender, faith, gender identity and expression or sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from veterans and individuals with disabilities.