WEMU-FM, Eastern Michigan University’s award winning NPR station, has an opening for a General Feature Reporter. This individual will pitch, report, write and produce spot news, features, and enterprise stories for broadcast and produce local news content for WEMU’s digital platforms. The General Feature Reporter, will also serve as an occasional fill-in local host for NPR’s newsmagazine programs, All Things Considered and Morning Edition. WEMU, a department of Eastern Michigan University, offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits; a talented, hard-working, and fun group of station colleagues; a large, growing, dedicated audience; and a great place to live and work. Each home to a major university, Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor, MI, are two of the most dynamic communities in Michigan with a robust foodie scene, active civic life, and a vibrant arts and culture community. Ann Arbor was recently named the best place to live in Michigan. If you are looking for an organization where you can sharpen your journalism skills and join an award-winning local news team, WEMU provides the perfect opportunity. Under the supervision of the program team, the General Feature Reporter will produce offerings that reflect the standards of audio production, journalistic ethics, and public service using NPR’s best practices as a model.
• Pitch and formulate original story ideas for air and web.
• Research and build on existing enterprise stories.
• Produce stories on deadline.
• Work within a team environment.
• Produce news-related content for social media, including but not limited to the WEMU website and app.
• Participate in live and online events making special appearances as needed.
• Substitute Morning Edition/All Things Considered host as necessary.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in broadcast journalism
• Three years’ experience in news or radio production, preferably in a public media environment
• Strong on-air presence
• Skills and experience in editing
• Demonstrated skills in interviewing, audio editing software, and writing for broadcast
• Good people skills
• Strong sense of ethical standards and the value of public service media
• Willingness to work flexible hours as news stories require, including evenings and weekends.
This is a full-time, exempt salaried position with benefits as determined for WEMU employees at Eastern Michigan University, an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All applications and inquiries must go through the EMU jobs site. https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/emichedu/jobs/3195749/radio-report-announcer?keywords=reporter&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs