Digital Content Producer, National Digital Content
Regular, Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Director, National Digital Content
As a member of the National Digital team in WETA’s National Programming Department, the Digital Content Producer is responsible for producing and managing production of original and existing video content and management of all digital video assets for WETA’s National Digital team. They work closely with colleagues on the Special Projects, Impact & Engagement and Station Relations teams to produce and provide digital video for virtual events, websites, social platforms, OTT devices, and external service providers to populate digital platforms. They also work with team members to create digital-first content for national promotion. They will also provide technical direction and support for national engagement and education virtual events.
- Desktop video editing and web publishing.
- Production under short-turnaround deadlines of daily digital video content.
- Strategize, manage, and lend guidance to original digital video production in the field, as needed.
- Manage and produce production of virtual events; live and pre-recorded.
- Production of animated graphics, as needed.
- Ensure that compliance with PBS digital video production requirements, including technical and editorial standards.
- Support content requests from Engagement, Education, Production Management, and WETA Local in a timely manner. Ensuring PBS specs are maintained throughout various asset versioning and usage.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- 8+ years’ experience in digital publishing or media production; with experience in interactive media production, mobile web, or native app development.
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in media, journalism, communications or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience in digital content production and project management.
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams and with all levels of staff.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and execute on several assignments at the same time.
- Understanding of, and appreciation for, the convergence of broadcast and digital content.
- Demonstrated ability to work with PBS colleagues in pbs.org, PBS LearningMedia, and PBS Marketing among others.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; demonstrated writing skills with careful attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational, project planning, presentation, interpersonal and time management skills.
- Demonstrated facility with editing on Avid and/or Final Cut systems, as well as web content management systems, as well as videocasting platforms like VimeoLive, BlueJeans, and Zoom.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- College degree.
- Minimum four (4) years of digital video production, including online content, preferably for a major media outlet.
- Recent public media experience preferred.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
WETA and NewsHour Productions are Washington, DC established media and news organizations. We are a largely local workforce based out of the Campbell Place office in Arlington, VA. WETA and NewsHour Productions value employee flexibility when possible. Most positions based in our Arlington, VA office will be onsite or hybrid, depending upon the role.
WETA and its subsidiary NewsHour Productions LLC serve local and national public media audiences by producing and distributing content of intellectual integrity and cultural merit. Through broadcast, digital and community services, the organization offers compelling, diverse programming on five television channels, including primary channel WETA PBS, and on WETA Classical, the exclusive home for classical music in the nation’s capital; produces a portfolio of national television productions, including PBS NewsHour, recognized globally for bringing balanced, in-depth news coverage to all Americans; creates impactful documentaries with longtime production partners Ken Burns and Prof. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.; features a variety of content offerings on weta.org, WETA Passport, the PBS Video App and the WETA Classical App; and serves communities near and far with education and engagement initiatives that contribute to the company’s mission of public service.
WETA and NewsHour Productions prioritizes the safety and security of our community. In accordance with our focus on providing and maintaining a safe workplace, we have adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all employees working in a WETA and/or NewsHour Productions office and employees who may reasonably or occasionally be called to work onsite, subject to business needs.
In accordance with this policy, all applicants for employment in a WETA and/or NewsHour Productions office are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Requests for exemption from this policy based on a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief will be considered upon a conditional offer of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
WETA and NewsHour Productions is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified candidates and employees pursuant to applicable law. This policy complies with all applicable laws and is informed by guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local health authorities, as applicable.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
WETA and NewsHour Productions are equal opportunity employers committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and internships. WETA and NewsHour Productions make hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.