SVP & Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Reports to: President & CEO
The SVP & Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is a key member of the senior management team and partners with senior leaders to provide executive level management of annual and long term financial plans for WETA. The SVP/CFO will provide advice and counsel to the President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and work closely with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) on business operations, strategic planning and financial management.
Reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the SVP/CFO is a driven individual who provides strategic and tactical leadership for WETA’s long term financial sustainability. The CFO will be a member of the Executive Management committee and will also be the organization’s Treasurer, with direct responsibilities to WETA’s board of trustees.
In an average week, you can expect to:
- Regularly engaging with the accounting, finance, building and facilities team. Meeting with the President & CEO and COO on accounting matters and financial updates. Speaking with department heads on actual performance against budget, as necessary.
What success looks like:
- After 60 days, you’ve immersed yourself in information about the organizations core initiatives; met with the President & CEO, the EVP/COO and other members of the Management Council (senior leadership team); met with members of the accounting, finance, building and facilities teams; and engaged with the auditors and board members and committees.
- After 120 days, you’re working more independently and are in regular communication with members of the board of trustees; regularly overseeing all investment and cash flow opportunities for WETA and its affiliates; supervising cash management, assessing cash flows and liquidity requirements; coaching your direct reports and collaborating with other department heads.
You must have:
- CPA and accounting or finance degree required. MBA desirable.
- Ten or more years of progressively responsible experience managing multiple corporate functions inside a complex non-profit environment.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
You should have:
- Broad expertise in financial management, including non-profit accounting operations, GAAP, budgeting and performance monitoring, capital deployment and expenditures, investment/endowment management, treasury and cash management, financing structures, insurance, and compliance.
- Solid understanding of non-profit accounting, private and government grant accounting, accounting and finance systems and platforms, and related subjects.
- Strong technical abilities and skills; a leader at digital transformation; and an understanding of dashboards and data visualization techniques. Excellent interpersonal skills with strong customer service orientation. Effective oral and written communication skills. Ability to represent WETA.
Founded in 1961, WETA is Washington, DC’s leading public broadcasting station. As a PBS and NPR member, we not only serve the DC metro area with our local programming and classical radio station, but also the nation with Washington Week, PBS NewsHour, and our partnerships with Ken Burns and Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
Our staff comes from very diverse backgrounds, but we all have one thing in common; we believe in our mission and the service we provide to the public.
We know there are great candidates who may have skills we haven’t thought about. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans and people with disabilities.
WETA is an equal employment opportunity employer. WETA does not discriminate against employees or applications on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.