Technical Support Specialist
Full time, Non- Exempt, Regular
Reports to: Technical Services Manager (Help Desk)
The Technical Support Specialist will provide user technical assistance, support, and resolutions related to computer systems, hardware and software for WETA and NewsHour Productions, LLC. Reports to the Technical Services Manager (Help Desk).
- Receive, prioritize, document, and actively resolve end user incidents and requests ensuring proper computer operation so that end users can accomplish business tasks.
- Write reports and business correspondence, effectively presenting information to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, etc.
- Configure and install computer and mobile equipment for new and current employees.
- Install, diagnose, repair, maintain and upgrade all PC/MAC/Network hardware and equipment to ensure optimal workstation performance.
- Support and Maintain user relevant applications.
- Troubleshoot problem areas (in person, by telephone, or via e-email) in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Perform on-site analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex desktop/hardware problems for end-users: recommend and implement corrective solutions, including off-site repair for remote users as needed.
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups to help requests.
- Maintain End User accounts (add/modify/delete) in various systems, such as Active Directory, MS Exchange, as well as documenting procedures.
- Create and maintain technical documentation around Service Desk procedures.
- Record, track, and document help desk request problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution.
- Develop and update training agenda for incoming users.
- Develop help sheets and frequently asked questions lists for Service Desk Portal for end users.
- Effective and proactive communication with customers of all IT department initiatives.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- The Technical Support Specialist will provide user technical assistance, support, and resolutions related to computer systems, hardware and software for WETA and NewsHour Productions, LLC. Reports to the Technical Services Manager (Help Desk).
- This position supports a 7 day per week Television services operation. Scheduling will be based on 5 days per week, but weekends may be required.
- Proven team player with proactive demonstrated time management skills, strong interpersonal skills, including excellent customer service.
- High degree of integrity and professionalism with a positive work ethic.
- Excellent organizational, project planning, presentation, and time management skills with careful attention to detail.
- Experience working under tight deadlines with the ability to resolve problems responsively, creatively, and logically.
- Knowledge of IT Service Management systems.
- Technical ability to provide support for computer and printer hardware, common software applications, Microsoft OS issues, MAC OSX issues.
- Proficiency in Networking, VPN, Wireless, Customer Service, Ticketing system applications, printers, OSX, MS, Video, Audio and TCP/IP.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully perform in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and on a small, collaborative IT team.
- Knowledge of the engineering and operation of a broadcast television environment is a plus.
- Familiarity with Video and Audio editing systems.
- Experience in a demanding newsroom environment is helpful.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including strong technical writing skills.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or more up to 50 pounds with or without accommodation.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- AA Degree, preferably in IT related field.
- A+ and Network+ certifications preferred.
- Minimum three (3) years of Information Technology experience, preferably as Helpdesk/End user support in a newsroom environment.
- Or equivalent combination of training and experience.
WETA and NewsHour Productions are Washington, DC established media and news organizations. We are a largely local workforce based out of the Campbell Place office in Arlington, VA. WETA and NewsHour Productions value employee flexibility when possible. Most positions based in our Arlington, VA office will be onsite or hybrid, depending upon the role.
WETA and its subsidiary NewsHour Productions LLC serve local and national public media audiences by producing and distributing content of intellectual integrity and cultural merit. Through broadcast, digital and community services, the organization offers compelling, diverse programming on five television channels, including primary channel WETA PBS, and on WETA Classical, the exclusive home for classical music in the nation’s capital; produces a portfolio of national television productions, including PBS NewsHour, recognized globally for bringing balanced, in-depth news coverage to all Americans; creates impactful documentaries with longtime production partners Ken Burns and Prof. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.; features a variety of content offerings on weta.org, WETA Passport, the PBS Video App and the WETA Classical App; and serves communities near and far with education and engagement initiatives that contribute to the company’s mission of public service.
WETA and NewsHour Productions prioritizes the safety and security of our community. In accordance with our focus on providing and maintaining a safe workplace, we have adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all employees working in a WETA and/or NewsHour Productions office and employees who may reasonably or occasionally be called to work onsite, subject to business needs.
In accordance with this policy, all applicants for employment in a WETA and/or NewsHour Productions office are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Requests for exemption from this policy based on a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief will be considered upon a conditional offer of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
WETA and NewsHour Productions is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified candidates and employees pursuant to applicable law. This policy complies with all applicable laws and is informed by guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local health authorities, as applicable.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
WETA and NewsHour Productions are equal opportunity employers committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and internships. WETA and NewsHour Productions make hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.